• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranged Basic Attacks

Shiv

Explorer
So, Magic Missile and Eldritch Blast are usable as ranged basic attacks.

However, I can't find anything in the rules regarding use of said ranged basic attacks, other than them simply being "basic attacks".

Opportunity attacks are only melee basic attacks, per PH 290.

So what exactly is the benefit of these powers being usable as ranged basic attacks? Do we need to wait for future supplements to see how these can be used?

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
The benefit of an attack being a basic ranged attack is that it can be used with certain Warlord powers (which grant allies basic ranged attacks). There will probably be other classes/circumstances which allow for a basic ranged attack as time goes on and supplements pile up.

Veritas

First Post
As one of Shiv's players, I'll add that yes, we had talked about the Level 25 Warlord ability "Stir the Hornet's Nest", that lets all his allies to make a ranged basic attack against his target if he misses... but that's an awfully long time to wait to put that particular boon into play.

On Puget Sound

First Post
warlord powers Surprise Attack (enc 7), Beat Them Into the Ground (enc 13), Hail of Steel (enc 17), Victory Surge (daily 19), Relentless Assault (daily25) and Stir the Hornet's Nest (daily 25) all trigger free basic attacks that may (in the last case, must) be ranged. If you don't have a warlord with those powers, I don't know of any other use for the "basic attack" status.

Dalzig

First Post
Personally, having a slightly more powerful crossbow with longer normal range that also plays off intelligence is all the incentive you need to use magic missile. Basic attacks are just topping on the cake.

Shiv

Explorer
I just checked out the Warlord Powers:

Surprise Attack (Warlord Attack 7)
Beat them into the Ground (Warlord Attack 13)
Hail of Steel (Warlord Attack 17)
Victory Surge (Warlord Attack 19)
Relentless Assault (Warlord Attack 25)
Stir the Hornet's Nest (Warlord Attack 25)

Yep. That's how "ranged basic attacks" can be used by the Warlock and Wizard.

Awfully specific (class-wise) and far-reaching (level-wise), but available none the less. I'm guessing that future supplements will expand upon this capability to some extent.

Thanks, all.

Remathilis

Legend
As one of Shiv's players, I'll add that yes, we had talked about the Level 25 Warlord ability "Stir the Hornet's Nest", that lets all his allies to make a ranged basic attack against his target if he misses... but that's an awfully long time to wait to put that particular boon into play.

aka "Feather Me, Yon Oaf!"

Remove ads