• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranged flanking and ranged OA

kristov

Explorer
1) How does flanking with ranged weapons work? Can you do it? I thought you could but i didn't find the rule saying you can. If you can, I assume you can only ranged flank with actual weapons and apparently the wizards magic missile since it is considered a "basic attack"?

2) What all seem to be the benefits of the wizards magic missile spell being called a "basic attack"?

3) Can you make an opportunity attack with a ranged weapon? Say a kobold moves away from the wizard, can the wizard cast magic missile at him? If a goblin moves away from a ranger, can the ranger shoot his bow at him?

Thanks for the advice, all of these things came up in our game session last night.

Mort_Q

First Post
1) You can flank with a ranged weapon, but you can't flank from range.

2) There are powers that other players can use that grant all other players a free basic attack. See Warlord.

3) No.

Kordeth

First Post
kristov said:
1) How does flanking with ranged weapons work? Can you do it? I thought you could but i didn't find the rule saying you can. If you can, I assume you can only ranged flank with actual weapons and apparently the wizards magic missile since it is considered a "basic attack"?

Huh--actually, flanking in 4E doesn't specify melee attacks only, so you can flank with a ranged weapon. You can, however, flank as long as you can make an attack against the enemy, "whether you're armed or unarmed." So as long as you have a ranged power that can hit the target, you can flank. You still have to be adjacent to the target, though.

2) What all seem to be the benefits of the wizards magic missile spell being called a "basic attack"?

Certain powers, situations, and abilities give you the option to make a basic attack. Whenever you're allowed top make a ranged basic attack, you can use magic missile.

3) Can you make an opportunity attack with a ranged weapon? Say a kobold moves away from the wizard, can the wizard cast magic missile at him? If a goblin moves away from a ranger, can the ranger shoot his bow at him?

No, see PHB p. 290 Opportunity attacks are melee basic attacks.

kristov

Explorer
Ok - so we are for sure that there is no "ranged" flanking? Say there is a ranger with his bow standing just 1 square away - no flanking right?

If a goblin is next to the ranger, who has his bow equipped, and the goblin moves away from him - could the ranger opportunity attack with his dagger? or since he has a ranged weapon, does that mean he cant actually perform any OA's because of that fact?

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
kristov said:
If a goblin is next to the ranger, who has his bow equipped, and the goblin moves away from him - could the ranger opportunity attack with his dagger? or since he has a ranged weapon, does that mean he cant actually perform any OA's because of that fact?

The ranger could punch the goblin because you can use unarmed strikes for OA. He could also use the ranged weapon as an Improvised melee weapon.

Zurai

First Post
kristov said:
Ok - so we are for sure that there is no "ranged" flanking? Say there is a ranger with his bow standing just 1 square away - no flanking right?
If the ranger is adjacent to the goblin, he can flank. If he isn't, he can't. The only rule for flanking in 4E is that you must be adjacent, must not be helpless, and must be in the appropriate position relative to another flank-capable ally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads