• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranged Touch into melee

seans23

First Post
Do you suffer a -4 penalty when making a ranged touch attack into melee?

srd said:
Shooting or Throwing into a Melee

If you shoot or throw a ranged weapon at a target engaged in melee with a friendly character, you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll.

frankthedm

First Post
And here is an example of how it might look like someone has cover when they don't due to how D&D is a slave to the grid.

The Mage does not have cover from the archer, though the archer has cover from the mage.
coverupuv0.gif

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
That doesn't strike me as a 'slave to the grid' problem.

Imagine the mage is in a corridor, and the archer is hiding around a corner instead of a samurai. It makes sense to me that he'd have cover but the mage would not.

-Hyp.

Bad Paper

First Post
waitaminute. I thought the -4 thing had to do with timing, not with soft cover. The shooting-into-melee penalty applies even if the shooter is perpendicular to the plane drawn between the two melee combatants. Hence:

M.M
.A.

(for simplicity, pretend the two meleers M have reach, and each written character is a 5' square)

The archer A gets a -4 simply because the Ms are in melee. If A moves into their plane, behind one of them, then one M also provides soft cover for the other, resulting in an additional -4 penalty...right?

AngelBob

First Post
Absolutely, good sir. If your in melee, your a -4 to hit with any ranged due to the movements and timing issues.

He was discussing cover, not firing into melee.

Dross

Explorer
frankthedm said:
This covers both issues...
coverde4.gif

Although IIRC, when you are closer to the cover than your opponent, your opponent does not receive said cover bonus.

Just something else to be aware of I guess.

Remove ads