• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger companion as weapon

jonalfarlinga

First Post
Many threads have been started by people dissatisfied with the 5th ed Beast Master Archetype.

While dreaming up ways to improve the beast master, I came up with the idea that the companion could be thought of as simply another weapon for the ranger. Scimitar, longbow, or wolf, which one do want this round? The more I thought about it the more convinced I became that that is exactly what the designers intended. It explains why the companion always occupies a ranger attack action, and why the beast has such low hit points. Also, by the lack of summon monster spells, I get the feeling the devs wanted to limit players to controling one character 95% of the time. Removing the independence of the companion fits right in with that.

But most of the beasts available as companions don't bring exceptional attacks, especially at high levels, once the ranger gets magic weapons and ability increases. True, the CR 1/4 beasts have attacks that are comparable to weapon damage attacks (panther = 1d6 and 1d4), but their strength bonuses tend to be lower than the PC's Str/Dex and they don't improve with level.

How would you change the beast master to better fit this design philosophy? I'm thinking the beast should get ability bonuses when the ranger does, and ensure that magical collars and such to boost the companion are a part of the game world. Further, and this I expect will be controversial, I would remove the illusion that the beast is a separate entity in combat; the beast only attacks when the ranger gives up an attack and may use as many of the ranger's attacks as desired. The beast uses the ranger's reaction if it makes an opportunity attack. This change would free the beast up to get more powerful attacks. The Hunter archetype makes the ranger a utility and defense character, perhaps the Beast Master should be a DPR monster with some out of combat utility.

eMalc

First Post
Few ideas off the top of my head, no idea if they'd be particularly overpowering or weak from first thoughts (Also unsure if these have been covered as the Ranger is the least I've read up on):

• Buff the animal's damage by 1 damage dice every tier, also improve their hit points and defenses every tier
  • At varying levels give the ranger choices that would significantly change their companion. E.g At lv. 4, Choice of: Damage resistance to 1 type of damage out of Piercing, Bludgeoning or Slashing; Knockdown or Grapple or Sneak attack OnHit; or give Ranger double prof. bonus when using nature skill)
  • Give the Ranger special manoeuvres they can perform with their companion that would give them similar bonuses to the Battle Master.

These are what I'd probably do to buff the animal companion in any games I'd run. Obviously would have to look into them in more depth to flesh them out and make sure they're not over powered or too weak, or don't add anything of value.

Sadrik

First Post
Hmm, you could thematically call this beast a spirit beast and "summon" it, perhaps even as a free action. Then when it dies it goes back to the spirit world and you can summon it again. Similar to a totem warrior thematically.

I think more where you were going though was by making the beast an actual held weapon. This could be a "panther sword" a "wolf spear" or a "hawk bow". Interesting. It makes me think of Elric and his demon bound sword. I would have to defer to you on how that would work specifically but it is an interesting idea.

Erik42

First Post
I think my ranger would look like a total badass wielding a wolf. I could hold it by the tail I suppose...I guess it would do bludgeoning damage. I'll need a custom made sheath.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads