• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger Design Idea: Contingencies

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I was trying to figure out what differentiates the ranger class from other martial classes, and personally I come down to one analogy: Rangers are like Batman. They're not the most powerful combatants, but nor are they necessarily the sneakiest or even smartest. Instead, they are the most prepared. One thing that's consistent about every traditional "ranger" I can think of is that it's a really, really bad idea to go after them on their own terms. Every square inch of terrain you try to cover will be trapped and deadly, and they'll have a plan to negate all your best advantages.

So, what's a viable game mechanic to match this style? I mean, you could give him trap-setting as a class ability, or even the "favored enemies" or "favored terrain" from earlier editions. But here's an idea that I think includes all of the above: "contingencies."

The idea is that each ranger knows a certain number of "contingency" maneuvers (or "traps"?), which are at-will abilities that are limited by strict conditions for using them. (The rogue's Sneak Attack is similar: you can use it every round, but only if you meet the condition that you have advantage on attacks against your target.)

Sort of like a fighter choosing maneuvers, you'd start knowing one set contingency ("Quarry") and two more of your choice, and then you'd learn a new one every odd-numbered level. Like warlock maneuvers, any damage from these contingencies would scale with your Ranger level, so they would all remain relatively viable at higher levels.

Some sample Contingencies:

Quarry
You dedicate all your attention to one target, tracing his every move unerringly.
Condition: You are targeting an enemy you made a ranged or melee attack against last round.
Effect: You mark the target as your quarry as you attack. You deal +1d6 damage on all attacks against your quarry, including this one. (This increases by +1d6 every odd level). Your quarry remains marked until it dies or you choose another.

Ambush
You lie in wait to take out your target quickly and efficiently.
Condition: It is your turn in the surprise round of combat.
Effect: You deal +1d6 damage on melee or ranged attacks. (This increases by +1d6 every level.)

Pursuit
Your quarry quickly learns that fleeing will only make you more determined to see their end.
Condition: You moved closer to your quarry in each of the past two rounds.
Effect: If you hit them with a ranged or melee attack, they cannot move on their next turn.

Focus Shot
By hanging back from the fray for a moment, you find the perfect moment to strike.
Condition: You did not attack anyone in the past two rounds.
Effect: If it hits, your next attack crits automatically.

Defensive Perimeter
You prepare the terrain immediately around you, ready for any comers.
Condition: You have not moved from your current spot for the past two rounds of combat.
Effect: You can make an opportunity attack (an attack with advantage as a reaction) against any opponent that enters a square adjacent to your current position.

Set Trap
You are a master trapper, whether your quarry is beast or man.
Condition: You have about a minute outside of combat to set up and disguise your trap. You also need materials to construct it, worth 1g per ranger level.
Effect: You rig a dangerous trap, such as a tripwire or hidden spike, that triggers when an enemy steps near it (in the same square). The enemy can spot it beforehand with a Wisdom check and take half damage with a Dex save. (DCs TBD). The trap deals 1d6 damage+1d6 per odd ranger level. You can also rig it to deal half damage but apply a poison (which you must buy separately, see Poisons in the equipment guide).

Favored Terrain
You've learned the ins and outs of one particular type of terrain.
Special: When you learn this ability, you must choose one type of terrain, such as: forest, plains, jungle, desert, cities, or crypts/dungeons. You can learn this ability again with a different type of terrain.
Condition: You are in your favored terrain.
Effect: You receive advantage on Survival, Spot, and Knowledge (geography) checks, and can move normally through rough terrain.

Favored Enemy
You have spent a great deal of time learning the habits and weaknesses of one specific type of creature.
Special: When you learn this ability, you must choose one type of enemy, such as: humanoid, goblinoid, dragonoid, abomination, or beast. You can learn this ability again with a different type of creature.
Condition: You are dealing with your favored enemy.
Effect: You receive advantage on checks to track and threaten the enemy. Any damage from other Contingencies against that creature are increased by two die sizes (e.g. from d6 to d10).

The general idea is that the ranger would be a good choice for "advanced" players who like setting up combos and so on (who would choose abilities like Pursuit and Defensive Perimeter). But like the new fighter, you could also take a simpler suite of contingencies (like the classic Favored Terrain and Favored Enemy) to make a powerful but straightforward character.

What I like to imagine with this class is a ranger carefully planning out a strategy that maximizes his contingencies: setting up a sniper nest so that he can use Ambush one round and Quarry the next, drawing the enemy through his set traps while setting himself up for Defensive Perimeter once the enemy draws closer.

Anyway, it's a design that makes the ranger a martial class with no "encounter" or "daily" powers that still requires a lot of strategizing to use optimally. I've never playtested it or anything so the numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but the goal would be that a ranger who maximizes his contingencies basically rivals a rogue in damage.

I know that many people would be pissed by any failure to adopt ranger features from their favorite edition. I added a version of Quarry and Favored Enemy/Terrain here, but unlike pre-4e there's no spellcasting. It also might seem to step on the warlord's toes, what with the tactical focus, but the ranger's not nearly no much about teamwork.

Also, a random note: As I've written it above, the class doesn't have any real primary stat other than Dex or Str for your attacks. This is similar to fighter maneuvers, and I think it's probably ideal for a class that is primarily about fighting. But I could see rejiggering things to make Wisdom more important.

So I'm asking two questions for those interested in reacting here: 1. Does this seem like a cool idea, and 2. Is it a Ranger?

mcmillan

Adventurer
I like the concept. However I think the 2 round setup for payoff if 3rd round is a bit much, would like every other round instead.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I think the concept is great, and some of the details are looking pretty good too.

I would love to see the Quarry and Mark concepts from 4E combined. The Ranger picks his target, they are hindered if they attack anyone else but the Ranger, the Ranger stops them moving if they are adjacent to the target and they get extra damage against them.

triqui

Adventurer
I think stuff like traps is better left for exploration pillar. If you make it a tactic combat power, you give up too much ssuspension of disbelief. For example, you give the player set up traps or deffensive perimeter. What if the PC is in the middle of an empty room? Or in the air plane? What if he is fighting in a purple demiplane made by a wizard, with nothing else than a huge plate that works a floor?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I think stuff like traps is better left for exploration pillar. If you make it a tactic combat power, you give up too much ssuspension of disbelief. For example, you give the player set up traps or deffensive perimeter. What if the PC is in the middle of an empty room? Or in the air plane? What if he is fighting in a purple demiplane made by a wizard, with nothing else than a huge plate that works a floor?

Traps are indeed a bit tricky. Maybe this should be wrapped into favored terrain, so you have advantage setting traps in terrain you know well?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As much as it matches many of the the thing I see the ranger as, characters based on triggers are annoying as all heck to play and play with.

"Oh it move away so I get a free attack. Oh oh yeah. with advantage..... Oh and bonus damage. Okay I'm don... WAIT!!.... it also gets knocked back."

ferratus

Adventurer
Aren't these very similar to fighter maneuvers though, only without the CS dice? Couldn't most of these be tweaked to be fighter maneuvers as part of a fighting style?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Aren't these very similar to fighter maneuvers though, only without the CS dice? Couldn't most of these be tweaked to be fighter maneuvers as part of a fighting style?

The only real issue is what Minigiant said - trigger-based abilities are hard to track, so I wouldn't want the player having to track CS dice on top of everything else. (Plus half the point here is to differentiate rangers from CS fighters.)

As for Minigiant's point - this is definitely potentially a more annoying class to play for the reason you articulate, but my hope is that it'd appeal to the 4e crowd for that reason: lots of potential crazy synergies to be found if you're clever.

I'd also hope to organize lots of mutually exclusive ones, like Pursuit vs Defensive Perimeter (I already hate that name), so that it's hard to stack bonuses TOO high.

ferratus

Adventurer
The only real issue is what Minigiant said - trigger-based abilities are hard to track, so I wouldn't want the player having to track CS dice on top of everything else. (Plus half the point here is to differentiate rangers from CS fighters.)

Yeah, but take your first three powers, Quarry, Ambush, and Pursuit.

Quarry: Here you could have just as easily said "add your expertise dice to damage" instead of adding +1d6 and you have a fighter maneuver. Plus, if you use combat superiority dice, the damage levels up with you.

Ambush: Again, you can use expertise dice instead of adding 1d6 damage.

Pursuit: Here you can just use expertise dice to determine how many feet of movment you take away from your target (die roll x 5ft).

Now let's contrast that with a fighter ability.

Cleave
You can carry your momentum forward from an attack, carving through a dying foe into the body of another.

Benefit: Once per turn when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points or fewer with a melee weapon attack, you can spend a single expertise die to make a melee weapon attack against a creature within your reach.

Notice the bolded text? That pretty much is the condition in which the fighter's power triggers, just as it does for your contingency based ranger. So aside from formatting, and using static bonuses and effects, none of your ranger abilities look different from fighting style maneuvers at all.

Remove ads