• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger twin strike question

CovertOps

First Post
I've already made my ruling on this but I thought I would get some more opinions from the smart people here as to what the RAW should be.

Ranger with Staff Fighting feat from Dragon: Allows PC to treat a staff as a double weapon.
Relevant rules section on double weapons is page 10 of AV a block in the lower right corner. Using a +2 Staff of the Serpent also from AV IIRC. This item has a property --paraphrase-- that adds +1d6 poison damage to every melee attack.

Using Twin-strike what would the damage be --for purposes of this ignore the Hunter's Quarry-- and list what you think each attack would do.

I hope I have left my opinion out of this and just presented the relevant rules texts that I consulted in making this ruling. If I missed anything feel free to add a reference with book/page.

Caliber

Explorer
I'd say it does 1d6 + 1d6 poison per attack. A little strong, but not broken. I'm not sure how it could be interpreted differently; it looks pretty clear cut to me. Anyone able to read it differently?

Edit: To be 100% clear here, a twin-striking Ranger would do 1d6+1d6 poison/1d6+1d6 poison. :)

tmatk

Explorer
...weapon properties or powers conferred by the enchantment affect only the
primary end of the weapon.

Both attacks would get the +2, only the main hand would add the d6 poison damage or use the daily.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Both attacks would get the +2, only the main hand would add the d6 poison damage or use the daily.

At first I thought Caliber was right that each end would do 1d6 +1d6 poison (plus enchantment and whatever). But the text on page 10 of AV specifically says magical weapon Properties only apply on the primary end, and the offhand side doesn't get the benefit.

Adventurer's Vault said:
An enchanted double weapon receives an enhancement bonus on both ends, but weapon properties or powers conferred by the enchantment affect only the primary end of the weapon.

Since the bonus poison damage is a Property of the weapon, the Ranger would do 1d6 + 1d6 poison with the main hand and 1d6 with the off hand (plus all other appropriate modifiers). Enchantment bonus for hit and damage and critical dice would still apply to both.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads