• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger with heavy thrown weapons

Scarface6174

First Post
So here's my question: What ability would a ranger use when using an ability with a heavy thrown weapon? What the exploit itself says (dex for ranged) or what the use when wielding that weapon (str)?

*I'm really at a crossroads in this one. I know that for some rogue powers you must wield a light blade and use dex. That makes sense cause rogues use dex for most if not all of their attacks. The weapon and stat used makes sense.

*Another thing to consider, Heavy thrown is a weapon property. It specifically states that you use strength instead of dex for attack rolls.

I would say that because of that property, you can use str for a ranged attack that would use dex.

Thoughts?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
*Another thing to consider, Heavy thrown is a weapon property. It specifically states that you use strength instead of dex for attack rolls.

Read it again:

Heavy Thrown: You hurl a thrown weapon from your hand, rather than using it to loose a projectile. A ranged basic attack with a heavy thrown weapon uses your Strength instead of your Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls.

For a ranged basic attack? Strength. For any ranged power that is not a ranged basic attack? Whatever the power says.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
For DMs, I think there is a reasonable case for allowing a Ranger to choose to make his ranged exploits Str (heavy thrown weapon) based rather than Dex (missile weapon) based. In almost all cases the heavy thrown weapons are strictly less powerful than the best missile weapon choices after all, and the Str based ranger has a worse time of it than the dex based ranger anyway (has to enchant two weapons rather than one, has to be up close to scary enemies...)

Cheers

eamon

Explorer
For DMs, I think there is a reasonable case for allowing a Ranger to choose to make his ranged exploits Str (heavy thrown weapon) based rather than Dex (missile weapon) based. In almost all cases the heavy thrown weapons are strictly less powerful than the best missile weapon choices after all, and the Str based ranger has a worse time of it than the dex based ranger anyway (has to enchant two weapons rather than one, has to be up close to scary enemies...)

Cheers

I agree. But there is also a flipside - a ranged ranger will have a lot more difficulty "dabbling" in melee than a melee ranger will have "dabbling" in ranged. Also, if a ranger really wants both, it's not too hard to have, since a str/dex build is entirely viable, so what you're really doing is opening ranged options up for str/wis rangers. I would allow it only on a case-by-case basis, not in general for all as-yet to be released classes. So Str/Wis rangers are probably not broken if you throw them this bones, but I'm not sure of the general case.

Plane Sailing

I agree. But there is also a flipside - a ranged ranger will have a lot more difficulty "dabbling" in melee than a melee ranger will have "dabbling" in ranged.

I don't see that as a problem, since I consider the ranged ranger gets so many extra benefits from a standing start anyway.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO there should be a 3rd combat path: "Skirmisher". He'd lose the ability to use two one-handed weapons, but instead gain the ability to use ranged powers with Str when using off-hand Heavy Thrown weapons. He'd do less damage in melee or range than his more specialized counterpart, but he'd get better use from Prime Shot and he'd be more flexible.

Skirmisher Fighting Style
You may use Strength in place of Dexterity for any ranged attack.
+1 damage with off-hand weapons.

Cheers, -- N

Plane Sailing

IMHO there should be a 3rd combat path: "Skirmisher". He'd lose the ability to use two one-handed weapons, but instead gain the ability to use ranged powers with Str when using off-hand Heavy Thrown weapons. He'd do less damage in melee or range than his more specialized counterpart, but he'd get better use from Prime Shot and he'd be more flexible.

Skirmisher Fighting Style
You may use Strength in place of Dexterity for any ranged attack.
+1 damage with off-hand weapons.

Cheers, -- N

That sounds like it would be quite a good option, actually.

Cheers

Remove ads