• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rangers and bastard swords

Bran Mak Morn

First Post
Hi guys, a quick question regarding the rules relating to the ranger's ability to be equipped with two blades.

Provided the superior military weapon talent is taken, it seems the ranger may be eventually equipped with two bastard swords.

Do you know something in the rules hindering such a possibility?

Thank you in advance :)

Bran

Volabit

First Post
Off Hander

Not sure, but I think on pg 217 where it describes weapon properties, the Off-Hand property says something about an off-hand weapon is light enough that you can hold it in your off-hand and still attack effectively while holding a weapon in your main hand. Also on pg 215, the last paragraph of Weapon Catagories makes pretty much the same comment about how some weapons are so light you can wield them in your off-hand and still be able to attack effectively either one. But not two attackes just with one or the other, unless you have abilities that allow you to.

Bran Mak Morn

First Post
Yes but the ranger's ability gives him the chance to handle one handed weapons, and the bastard sword is among them, as off hand weapons.... but it seems anyway strange to me to have a character with two bastard swords....

Otterscrubber

First Post
Yup, dual wielding bastards swords was my first choice. When I hit level 2 i retrained out of it though for the AC of TWD. Seems like a good idea but its a feat to get basically +1 damage on average, and from then on out you're crossing your fingers that you find two magic bastard swords. If it happens i'll retrain into it but I went for TWD and enlarged breath weapon for my dragonborn ranger.

Blackbrrd

First Post
50% of all melee characters will be using bastard swords.
25% of all melee characters will be using rapiers
25% of all melee characters will use some other weapon

... thats my theory! ;)

Well, it's one point of damage per weapon die, which scales nicely with encounter powers, daily powers, and twin strike, and makes it better than weapon focus, which is a perfectly acceptable heroic feat. (as well as better than two weapon fighting which two weapon defence needs, which seems kinda bleh to me).

Craith

First Post
Blackbrrd said:
50% of all melee characters will be using bastard swords.
25% of all melee characters will be using rapiers
25% of all melee characters will use some other weapon

... thats my theory! ;)

Count me in the last 25%, Longsword or Shortsword, not yet decided. Flavour trumps Stats :D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I presume that it is something they added to the ranger to prevent them falling far behind the archer-ranger with his 1d10 damage bow on all his attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads