• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rangers and bastard swords

Otterscrubber

First Post
Kzach said:
A good DM with a modicum of sense.

It's a feat for +1 Damage overall, not unbalanced at all. Especially considering scimitar dance is pretty much a solid paragon feat from 11 on, I can't see how any melee ranger with the stats to get it won't take that anyways. If you are a low dex melee ranger then ya, 2 bastard swords is the way to go for shizzle :)

med stud

First Post
From a mechanical perspective, +1 damage for a feat isn't that bad. The image of some guy running around with two bastard swords might be jarring but you can solve that by calling the bastard swords something else. As long as they are medium sized, deal 1d10 damage and have +3 prof you are golden.

Bran Mak Morn

First Post
Kzach said:
A good DM with a modicum of sense.

Ya I know, I'm the Dm in the case, but it's much more difficult to stop a player using a rule contained in the official PH than in other supplements...
it would be perceived as something unfair...

anyway...it seems it may be done...provided I don't like the image of a human running over and fighting with two such big swords...

Abdomens

First Post
I have no problem with it. It's balanced first of all.

Second, flavourwise I imagine a ranger using bastard swords is not using large medieval type swords, but rather something more of a katana. And then it's a cool image.

The_Pugilist

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I presume that it is something they added to the ranger to prevent them falling far behind the archer-ranger with his 1d10 damage bow on all his attacks.

You could always use dual wielded Warhammers, Battle Axes, or Flails. You don't get the extra proficiency +1 that swords have, but you do get the damage.

Axes are what my crazy Orc Ranger will be using, should I get a chance to play any time soon. :) Plus then at Paragon level you can take Deadly Axe.

szilard

First Post
Maybe it is just me, but I've been wanting to play a ranger who dual wields hand axes or javelins or something that can benefit from both dual wielding and ranged powers without switching weapons...

-Stuart

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads