• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Rangers: Missing Fighting Style

Galahadred

Villager
I noticed that there isn't a Ranger Class Feature where one might pick a fighting style, but the "Trained Accuracy" feature that Rangers get at 2nd level says, "At 2nd level, you learn to maintain a level of discipline that spills over into everything you do. This perpetual state of focus allows you to perform incredible feats. When using Trained Accuracy, the bonus to attack rolls from Fighting Style: Archery becomes a +2 bonus to damage on ranged weapon attacks." (Emphasis mine).

So, it looks like Rangers were maybe supposed to get the same Fighting Style choice that they would get in D&D 5e, but it was accidentally omitted.

kerleth

Explorer
I noticed this too. My assumption was exactly the opposite though. I was assuming it's supposed to be "If you possess Fighting Style: Archery, when using Trained Accuracy the +2 bonus to attack becomes a +2 bonus to damage." Figured it was put in their as a just in case because they were worried about the attack bonus stacking and gutting bounded accuracy or other exploits.

Hunter's Target alone is +1/+3 (1d6), which is better than the archery or dueling fighting styles in tier 1, and about as good in tier 2 when extra attack kicks in.

Galahadred

Villager
Hunter's Target is fine, but it's really just a replacement for the 5e casting of Hunter's Mark. So, LU Ranger gets Hunter's Target and some uses of Trained Accuracy, while 5e Rangers get Fighting Style Archery and some casts of Hunter's Mark.

All in all, it probably does work out to be about the same power level, I suppose, but I was hoping for a little bit more, since they're giving up their other utility spells (unless you take the right Archetype).

Hunter's Target gives a +1 to hit, and if you don't move, trained accuracy gives another +1 to hit, which adds up to the +2 from archery. That's situational, to be sure, but common for backline archers.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Hunter's Target is fine, but it's really just a replacement for the 5e casting of Hunter's Mark. So, LU Ranger gets Hunter's Target and some uses of Trained Accuracy, while 5e Rangers get Fighting Style Archery and some casts of Hunter's Mark.

All in all, it probably does work out to be about the same power level, I suppose, but I was hoping for a little bit more, since they're giving up their other utility spells (unless you take the right Archetype).
Well, they also get the maneuvers and exploration knacks, which add a lot.

Remove ads