D&D 5E [+] Rangers should have monster fighting spells equivalent to Paladin's Smite spells. Discuss!

Personally, I'd rather have them go the Battlemaster route and ditch spells for Maneuvers - the Ranger becomes the King of Battlefield maneuvers, regaining some of its "commando" origins. On top of the regular fighter maneuvers, make a host of maneuvers that are tuned to enemy types (for example, a maneuver that allows them to hit incorporeal creatures with ease and/or stop their phasing ability). Include several out-of-combat maneuvers that tackle the exploration pillar - improved tracking, trailblazing, interactions with animals, etc. Because they are manuevers and not spells, can't be counterspelled or dispelled, don't need V,S,M, etc.
In Level Up, Rangers can gain proficiency in two of six Combat Traditions (Biting Zephyr, Mirror's Glint, Rapid Current, Razor's Edge, Spirited Steed, and Unending Wheel).

This version of the class does ditch spells for Maneuvers. If you still want to cast spells and have these Combat Traditions, there is the spellcasting Wildborn archetype.

Horwath

Legend
I think you're underrating what this would mean for Battlemaster, in spirit and in practice. You're giving the key to their kingdom to another class. Rangers getting maneuvers from their base class, on-top of maneuvers exclusive to them, that's damaging to Battlemaster's identity in a way that getting maneuvers from a Fighting Style or a Feat, isn't.
well, it's WotC fault that battlemaster maneuvers are not core martial ability, for ALL martial classes.

Rocker26a

Explorer
well, it's WotC fault that battlemaster maneuvers are not core martial ability, for ALL martial classes.

That is their fault, true, but. It's more just a symptom of it being a mechanic present from the initial release, I feel like. They've gone some ways towards helping the matter since, like I say, you can take a fighting style or a feat for maneuvers. It's maybe not perfect, but it's not a hard cut-off for the non-Fighters?

Horwath

Legend
That is their fault, true, but. It's more just a symptom of it being a mechanic present from the initial release, I feel like. They've gone some ways towards helping the matter since, like I say, you can take a fighting style or a feat for maneuvers. It's maybe not perfect, but it's not a hard cut-off for the non-Fighters?
problem is that is one of the worst styles(GW style is still the worst) and worst feats to take.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Only works if Rangers have spellbooks.

Then you can know Charm Undead, Bind Monstrosity, Banish Demon, Hold Aberration. and Dragonbane.

You'd have to create a

Banish X
Blind X
Charm X
Hold X
Locate X
Speak with X
X-Bane
X-Friendship
X Ward

for every applicable monster type

I think something that'd help with dismantling Favoured Enemy for good, would be creating a spiritual successor to it
Doesn't the Favored Foe optional class feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything cover this need for a spiritual successor?

Favored Foe: When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

Rocker26a

Explorer
Doesn't the Favored Foe optional class feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything cover this need for a spiritual successor?

Favored Foe: When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

Well, that depends; do you think the existence of the Divine Smite ability on Paladin renders the Smite spells obsolete?

Horwath

Legend

it uses Concentration, so it's bad.

Remove ads