[rant] Fighting intellectual theft on WOTC

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Heretic Apostate said:
Ah, thanks, HyperSmurf. Wasn't sure how to fix that, since I had just grabbed random paragraphs out of two Greyhawk-ish supplements I own to demonstrate that it is, in fact, possible to use the Select Text tool on the PDFs...

Weird, how the font messed up. Guess next time, I'll have to filter it through Notepad or something...

There's still a bunch of [LEFT]Text[/LEFT] tags around the paragraphs after the quotes, but they don't seem to be hurting anything.

Basically, all of the [FONT] and [SIZE] tags at the start of your pasted paragraphs were closed at the end of the message, instead of at the end of the quote. I shifted them up.

-Hyp.

Michael Morris

First Post
Darkness said:
Our version of vb board keeps the font of a cut-n-paste
(Older versions didn't.) if that's what you did.

I don't think the newer ones do either.

Release Candidate 3 is out. Let's hope it's final so we can go to it and I can work on themes again.

kirinke

First Post
huh. i don't have a problem converting pdf to word-perfect. just use select. (found that trick out when i was copying cheats from the IceWind Dale game :D) the pdf was kinda hard to use any other way. And no. I didn't distribute it to anyone else. But then, I don't think Icewind dale has a copyright on cheatcodes..... especially a full 10 page cheatcode list they produce themselves. :p

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Michael Morris said:
?

I dunno. We're running 3.0.0 beta. The most current is 3.0.0 RC3.

I take it you've posted to boards running RC3? If so, odd. Very odd.
Nah, it was in EN World. Couple times. Dunno why. It surprised me and as such proved a little inconvenient, though.

Zappo

Explorer
BFG, you actually did it I see. :D
I *think* copying small amounts of text for the players is fair use, but of course I am probably wrong. Certainly I wouldn't consider it immoral... the problem is that the Select Tool does this job nicely already. So asking for the text means that either the guy is royally incompetent, or he doesn't actually own the PDF.

And, in either case, he doesn't know much about education it seems.

In any case, I had already reported the thread to the WizO's, before someone impersonated a moderator...

Dang, I hope I don't get banned myself.

Of course, they can track the IP address, so they should be able to prove it isn't me...

Remove ads