• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rant: Flavor restrictions

Dremen

First Post
There is one thing that really ticks me off about 3e. And I feel like ranting about it.

The flavor restrictions on certain classes in the PHB. Specifically the multiclassing restriction on Monks and Paladins, and the Druid weapon selection. The designers say these restrictions are for flavor only and NOT game balance. Then WHY are they in the PHB and not in the DMG as options you can use to tick off your players?

This does several things. It makes these FLAVOR rules default standard. Some DM's WILL NOT change anything in the core rules. "If the gods at WotC wrote it then it is cannon and you cannot change it, I bow before their mighty power..."

This forces the rest of the thinking community to make yet more house rules, which should be uneccessary. These flavor issues should not be in the PHB. Or if they were there should be a side bar stating the reason for the inclusion.

This prohibits certain people form otherwise playing a character class or class combo that they would enjoy. If they play in Living Greyhawk or in a unthinking DM's game they would not be able to play an otherwise fun class due to someones lame 'flavor" idea.

I'm a druid and I lost all my powers for 24 hrs because I picked up a rock and threw it. Come on.

These stupid restrictions are countered by nearly every prestige class or supplemental book that gets rid of the stupid flavor restriction.

These "flavor" restrictions should be removed from future printings of the PHB and there should be an offical erreta changing this. IMHO

Sorry about the rant but this has been bothering me for some time and I had to get it off my chest. I feel better now.

-D

Cedric

First Post
There is no spoon...

In other words, you're life will be made better if you start considering the entire game to be a collection of optional rules.

That's just my opinion though...

Cedric

Dremen

First Post
For games I run I just rule 0 them right out. But if you want to play in "Official" games where you are not the DM, or you are forced to use only offical rules then you are hosed. As you can't bypass it due to DM fiat or offical rulings. I could understand if it was for game balance but it isn't its like someone trying to force you into their mold.

This is why I don't like it.

-D

alsih2o

First Post
Dremen said:

I'm a druid and I lost all my powers for 24 hrs because I picked up a rock and threw it. Come on.

huh? if your dm will let you use a sling to hurl a rock, but not your arm, you have a dm problem, not a rules problem, imho :)

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Dremen said:

-D

but druids are proficient with slings. so because you threw it and didn't launch it from a piece of cloth or leather, your DM took away your abilities?!

no wonder you're ticked!

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Your DM is a twit.

For what it's worth, I let druids use bows, and have no problem with monks or paladins multiclassing.

But then again, I don't have a group anymore. :(

Mercule

Adventurer
I always thought the Druid weapon restriction was balance based, not flavor. Has any developer actually said it was flavor, like they stated w/ the multiclassing?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads