[Rant] Ink devouring PDFs

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Re: Re: [Rant] Ink devouring PDFs

Mark said:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of my approach.

I think it's exactly right. The printout is attractive, yet not too wasteful of expensive ink cartridges. And I agree that the map should be full color.:)

LightPhoenix

First Post
gariig said:

I just found out I have access to FREE color laser printing!! I just printed out Moon Elves and it is BEAUTIFUL! Unfortunately, I only get 400 sheets a semester, I hope duplexing cuts that in half!!! Also, my girlfriend has access to it, too!!

Yeah, around here we get 50 pages a week, even if you're off campus. The catch is, if you don't use the 50 pages, they're gone. No saving allowed. So it's common practice here to give away your password to your friends to print flyers, large documents, et cetera. Especially among science and music/art majors, because we don't need to type as much.

All in all, I have access to at least 2500 pages a semester, if I tap some of my friends.

Oh, on topic. I'm a definite moderate as far as the line between graphics and content go. I like a little of both, but too much graphics make it a hog, and too much text makes it seem boring to me.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Re: Re: [Rant] Ink devouring PDFs

Mark said:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of my approach. Please check out some of the free downloads on my site, which are easily accesssed from my main page-
What I think of how you've done Locus-Jalston.pdf:

This is more like it. It has fancy borders which keep it from looking boring, but the borders are not so intricate, colorful, and HUGE that they devour ink at an atrocious rate. I like them very much. Hmmm. I'm gonna look and see what all you have on your site.

Summary: Excellent. More people should do it your way.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
BMF said:
I don't see the sense in printnig off the whole thing anyway. If you do that you will have to invest in some sort of binder or page sleeves as well, unless you want loose pages all over the place. So no matter how you print it off, doing so increases the cost to you. And to what end?? Do the spells work better when you read them out of a fully printed and compiled PDF text as opposed to a few pages printed from MSword???
Well. In my defense, I like to read my PDF stuff while I'm taking a crap, riding the bus, sitting on the couch while my wife or daughter is on the computer, etc., etc. In order to do that, I have to print it off.

:::sigh::: Sometimes I wish I was the only computer nerd in the house! Heh! :p

I format PDFs for print. That's why there are two columns on letter size paper. I use slightly wider margin than I'd prefer only to allow the page to print on A4 paper reasonably well and for the benefit of the three ring binder folk. I also format it for double sided printing. Shaded areas on odd numbered pages do not line up with shaded areas on the following page to avoid dark areas on the page.

I can't stand the fancy borders on most PDFs. If I ever release a PDF with fancy borders and background images, someone point me at this post where I swear it won't happen. Overdone artwork can be just as annoying but I realise my one little scrap of artwork in Joe's Book of Enchantment was insufficient.

So far no one has complained.

Joe Mucchiello
Throwing Dice Games
http://www.throwingdice.com

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Re: Re: Re: [Rant] Ink devouring PDFs

Doc_Klueless said:

What I think of how you've done Locus-Jalston.pdf:

This is more like it. It has fancy borders which keep it from looking boring, but the borders are not so intricate, colorful, and HUGE that they devour ink at an atrocious rate. I like them very much. Hmmm. I'm gonna look and see what all you have on your site.

Summary: Excellent. More people should do it your way.

Thanks. I think I've reached a good compromise position that leans toward the person who has to do the printing. In larger, future, projects (that will contain multiple maps/graphics) I am setting them up so that the ink intensive pages are back-to-back at certain points in the PDF. This allows you to print a range, skip two pages, and print the remainder range (repeat as necessary). You can then print the missing pages in color, yourself, or get them done at a copy shop (if you want to go to those lengths for quality).

Buttercup said:
I think it's exactly right. The printout is attractive, yet not too wasteful of expensive ink cartridges. And I agree that the map should be full color.:)

Yup. I'm just so adamant about nice looking maps and there's no way to compromise further without losing that aspect. As an example, I've attached a shrunken version of the Jals County map from the upcoming Focus - Jalston. Could it be done in B&W? Sure, but at some point B&W for everything just beats the life out of the game, IMO.

Last edited:

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I have to agree that most PDF's out there do suck up ink. As for the suggestion of running out and buy a Laser Printer... Well thats not exactly in everyones price range. Printing at work is something I also can't due, because the Tech Support division isn't allowed to use the printers. So for now my PDF's will sit on my harddrive not really being used.

We've been trying to listen to our customers on this regard.

With our second, third and fourth products, we included a text only file.

With our most recent product (and onward), we have designed a whole new layout that (in our opinion) looks snazzy without having a lot of graphics to suck up ink. In fact, in the Banewarrens, most of the pictures are at the back (in the style of the old modules with illustrations meant to be shown to the players), so if you didn't want to print them, it would be easy to avoid it.

dr jekyll

First Post
What about Kinko's?

How much would it cost to get things printed at Kinkos?

I know they like getting PDF files for printing, and the last time I checked they were a lot cheaper than a $30 ink cartridge. They even have different binding options.

Has anyone looked at this as a serious option? This is the way that I'm thinking of going, I'm wondering if anyone else had considered the pros and cons of using the local copy shop.

dr jekyll

Remove ads