• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(RANT) (longish) A player wishes to drop

I received a call last week from one of my players. She was calling to tell me that she would no longer be gaming with us. When I asked why she told me that she was tired of being patronized by the group and how nobody respected her abilities as a gamer.

(sigh) The thing is, she’s right, up to a point. People don’t respect her as an accomplished gamer, because she truly isn’t by the groups definition. She’s been gaming for the last 13 years and has gamed all over the world, and she has been met with rave reviews by all she’s gamed with. But at my table she’s the poor man’s gamer. The reason is because she loves to role-play, but doesn’t know the rules of a given system to save her live. An accomplished gamer to my mind, and the groups, should make a point of trying to excel at both. Or at least know the rules enough to play her own character without having to ask constant question. She also loves to be the center of attention while gaming. This has led to some wonderful role playing moments, but can also be a real drag when I’m trying to involve the others in what’s going on.

Part of this is my fault, because I been just as guilty of this behavior as the rest of the players. But a part of this is also her own. She’s constantly telling everybody in the gaming group that are “newbies” the way things work. “Don’t us any divination, the DM will only screw you with it or make it so obscure you’ll never figure it out.” After I’d spent the whole night trying to get the group to do some divinations to move the story along. And of course on of the “newbies” has been gaming for the last 3-4 years with us, but is still treated as a beginner in her “vast” frame of reference.

She just returned from being abroad for the last month. While she was gone she gamed with others and apparently told them about our little group. Some of my house rules (you want to make a new character, then it comes in two levels lower than your current character) where considered “barbaric”. All of my house rules where given in writing to the players before we began gaming, and my reason’s for each was explained at the time. In addition she made a point of telling me that she was amazed that when she began to talk in character everybody shut up and paid attention to her.

I’ve also been accused of favoring two players in the group as well. To be fair one is my wife, the other is my brother. I don’t think I favor them, but I’m willing to concede I might sub consciously. The problem is, I’m not sure how I’ve favored them. Each character is in the 16-18 level range and through adventuring has a minor artifact. The groups paladin, played by another player also has a minor artifact is hugely more powerful in terms of dishing out damage on a regular and consistent basis. She complained that it was unfair that her character was 5 level behind the rest of the party. She has an has the machine template from one of the dungeon adventures that is ecl+3, and she left the group to game with another group for 2 months. During that time her character gained no experience and I felt it unfair to give her exp that she hadn’t earned to bring her up to the rest of the group. Though in that it was announced at the end of a gaming session that left off in a real cliff hanger that this was her last night because she had the “gaming opportunity of a life time”.

When shed first called I tried to convince her to come over the next time we game and to talk to everybody. Air this out and see what we could do. We’re all supposed to be friends and adults. I warned her though that she would need to approach this from the perspective that she would need to bend as well. (ie. Stop trying to rub the “13 years” in the others faces and they’ll stop ignoring her suggestions. ) By the time she was done I had no interest in trying to patch this up. I’ve already talked to my wife and one other player (the paladin) and they both would rather we just cut her loose. (My wife is more upset about this than I am since this lady was supposed to be a good friend, but evidently my wife’s patronizing, both in and out of game, is to much for this person) But I can’t help but feel this is something I could have nipped in the bud if I’d just said something to everybody before this.

Thanks for listening and any advice would be appreciated.

KitanaVorr

First Post
Yeah - definitely should have been brought up sooner, but she is also to blame as she should have brought it up herself as well if you had not. 13 years of gaming experience should have taught her that.

I don't know her side of the story, but I will comment based on yours.

Her behavior is not unlike some experiences at the workplace where a more experienced but insecure worker is introduced into a new group. Everything thing she does is indicative of her inherent insecurity with the group. She just desparately wants some respect and a nod to her "gaming achievements". Sounds hokey but its really what she wants...to be seen as an "elder".

Her wanting her character to suddenly gain experience without earning it to match the others is absurd in my book. But I am pretty sure that it must be based on not wanting to seem 'less' than the others. If she is feeling patronized, that would be why she didn't want to fall behind.

If she thinks you favor another, ask the other players if they also see this to find out if you're doing it without thinking. If so, then you'll have to be more active in correcting that or the others might harbor some resentment that they're afraid to admit to you especially in light of your problems with this person.

The "not knowing the rules" though is something that you shouldn't penalize her for. Personally I find it distracting to always have to break away from roleplaying and consulting the rule book. I don't have it memorized unless I use a rule often enough to commit it to memory.

However when I am the GM, I always make sure I know the rules and I never assume my players know them. But that's my personal gaming style.

Hope you like my two cents!

Kit

Aaron L

Hero
13 years isn't really very long, tell her about the 25 year gamers around here. She needs some perspective.

Last edited:

Aaron L said:
13 years isn't really very long, tell her about the 25 year gamers around here. She needs some perspective.
:D Personally, I wouldn't have brought it up sooner. Bringing it up would only bring the issues to a head. That's not necessarily a good thing; sometimes these issues aren't a big enough deal that they should be brought to a head, sometimes they just work themselves out on their own.

If she doesn't want to play and you don't really want her to play, I don't see where you've got a problem, though. It'd be worth it to try and patch up the friendship, at least, but that's a different thing altogether.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Her behavior is not unlike some experiences at the workplace where a more experienced but insecure worker is introduced into a new group. Everything thing she does is indicative of her inherent insecurity with the group. She just desparately wants some respect and a nod to her "gaming achievements". Sounds hokey but its really what she wants...to be seen as an "elder".
*nods* Right. It's either that, or else she's overcompensating for being embarrassed about her insufficient rules knowledge.

bwgwl

First Post
Aaron L said:
heh, that's what i was thinking. "13 years? newbie..." :D ;)

of course, we only have your side of the story, but she sounds like a drama queen. perhaps it would be best if you cut her loose. doesn't sound like you'll be losing much.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Aaron L said:

13 years? Pshaw. I have older character sheets. My first d20 has been used so much it is a perfect sphere. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The "not knowing the rules" though is something that you shouldn't penalize her for. Personally I find it distracting to always have to break away from roleplaying and consulting the rule book. I don't have it memorized unless I use a rule often enough to commit it to memory.

But when it's the same rule over and over, it can get a little annoying.

"I'll move fifteen feet over towards the table and shoot at the ogre. Can I use Rapid Shot with that?"
"The same answer it's been every other time you've asked that question for the last year. You can only use Rapid Shot on a Full Attack Action, which means no moving more than five feet..."

You should at least be familiar with the rules that affect your own character.

-Hyp.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Sorry to hear this but while it should have been brought up sooner it appears to be something that has been building for some time, interest change. Sometimes people only have gaming in common and if it was not for weekly meetings they would not get together.

I would be worried that this could be the break up of a group, I have seen it happen. Group first attacks lost player, saying they did not need them. Then they start missing them, thinking they may be rights, someone talks to them and sides with them. Players pick sides, who is right, who is wrong. Group is slowly reduced.

Do something to save the friendship but move the friendship away from gaming. Do other things or don't stop doing other things, keep them as part of the group as friends.

TiQuinn

It doesn't sound like her personality meshes well with your group at all. I think the seperation of ways is probably the best thing for both sides.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads