• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Rant] Map-of-the-Week (WotC)

Zamdrist

First Post
Piratecat said:
Have you thought about asking for your money back? :D

A second (and more usefyl) option might be politely mentioning this in the d20 publishers forum, where someone from WotC is more likely to see it!

And what would be wrong with that? A little constructive criticism never hurt anyone. No, "sucks" isn't constructive, but at least I explained why I think they suck.

Nothing is "free". Map-of-the-Week is a marketing tool, nothing more, it isn't done out of the genorosity of someone's heart there at WotC.

For their efforts, they deserve constructive feedback. And...I wanted to know if anyone felt the same as I did.

Zamdrist

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Zamdrist, I actually agree with you, although I'm not sure I would have phrased it the same way you did. I was serious when I suggested you post the complaint on our d20 Publisher's board. I'd like someone from WotC to see and acknowledge it.

baseballfury

First Post
Holy Bovine said:
As always complaints get made about the strangest of things.

You don't like the free maps they post on the WotC site?

Demand a refund!! :rolleyes:

I'm with you. I like the map-a-weeks and I like that they are experimenting.

And hell, it's free.

Castaigne

First Post
Are you people freaking nuts?

They're free. Free on the internet. As in, no cost to you.

Perhaps you would prefer no-map-a-week. Or maybe nothing-a-week, or nothing-at-all, ever.

I'm sure glad I'm not your parents at Xmas-time (Pireatecat and all other sane posters excluded, of course).

Holy Bovine

First Post
Zamdrist said:

And what would be wrong with that? A little constructive criticism never hurt anyone. No, "sucks" isn't constructive, but at least I explained why I think they suck.

Nothing is "free". Map-of-the-Week is a marketing tool, nothing more, it isn't done out of the genorosity of someone's heart there at WotC.

For their efforts, they deserve constructive feedback. And...I wanted to know if anyone felt the same as I did.

Zamdrist

I swear if there was a company giving out free money with ice cream someone would complain about it.

Just because it is a marketing tool its not free?

WTF?

I guess I'll be getting a bill for the Maps-of-the Week I've used in the past huh :rolleyes:

Zamdrist

First Post
Holy Bovine said:

I swear if there was a company giving out free money with ice cream someone would complain about it.

Just because it is a marketing tool its not free?

No, it's surely free, but that doesn't mean it immune to criticism. Let's say Map-of-the-Week was compiled from community submissions, I think they would be very different.

As to your point about money and ice-cream. If that ice-cream was sour tasting and the money could only be used in Bolivia...wouldn't you feel compelled to say something? I know I would.

Look, I wasn't trying to be mean and ungrateful, I just think they deserved some feedback for their efforts.

I've said my peace on this subject :)

Zamdrist

KnowTheToe

First Post
The new ones sure are pretty, but low in functionality. I like to see diversity though because not everyone has the same needs. Remember there is more than one style game and gamer as these boards clearly demonstrate.

Terraism

Explorer
Castaigne said:
Are you people freaking nuts?

They're free. Free on the internet. As in, no cost to you.

Perhaps you would prefer no-map-a-week. Or maybe nothing-a-week, or nothing-at-all, ever.

I'm sure glad I'm not your parents at Xmas-time (Pireatecat and all other sane posters excluded, of course).
Castaigne, I think the point is that it's gotten to a point where Wizard's is billing something falsely. I agree with you - it's free, and we shouldn't really complain. On the other hand, I wonder if the people over there might have seriously not realized that the maps have gotten to an 'almost worthless' state. I used to love those maps - the original black-and-white ones were wonderful, and I used 'em a handful of times. However, once they started doing the colored maps, they seem to have gotten more impressed with making them look pretty than having them be functional. For that matter, I actually thought the older ones were 'prettier', anyway. But, the point is that it is annoying to have something - even free - that someone says is one thing only to find it's another.

Castaigne

First Post
Yeah, you're right, Terraism. When I think about it, I haven't actually used any of the more recent maps. I guess I just got a little excited for a minute there.

Remove ads