• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rant: Midnight Gone Wrong...

Bryan898

First Post
A little backstory first- after DMing for about two years straight (prolly 9 years total), one of the other players in the group decided to step up to the plate. He's DMed before quite a few times and actually has done a rather good job. He has quite a liking for the old missions also, which is all fine and good. After showing him to Midnight, he decided that he liked the campaign alot, and immediately started DMing.

It started out all well and good. The campaign was extremely intriguing, the atmosphere was good, and everything went well. Then at about fourth level it suddenly turned into "no matter what you do you're dead". A couple of players have problems with this, they don't see where the fun is in a world where anything you do results in your death. Every NPC we encounter is infinitely more powerful than us. Every nemesis he throws against us we can't directly kill. It's almost like he hates the idea of our characters doing anything noteworthy. In one earlier mission we took out the entire orc garrison of the town... much to his anger. When we returned from healing a day or two later we went to lead the remaining townfolk out to another town that was rebellious. We arrive to find them all dead, Fell even. Somehow every single one of them had been killed without us knowing, even though we were less than a city block away. Most of the monsters we've encountered would kill us with little sweat. Ex: a Slaughterking (at 2nd level), a band of Hill Giants, an 11+ level Orc Cheiftain, the list goes on.

To compound matters he recently sprung an "oldie" adventure on us that we've played at least twice before over like six years. I happen to have a good memory, and have been known to remember stuff from video games I haven't played since I was six for example. I remembered most of what we did in the mission (it's called "Nightfall" IIRC), and I also remember that every time we tried it everyone hated it and the campaign ended abrubtly. This time we've gotten further than before. Everything we fight is impossibly more powerful than us. In our dreams in the forest we were assaulted by a night hag on a nightmare that could actually kill us in our dreams... the person on guard could wake us up, but he ruled it would take 5 round per person (did I mention we're 3rd level?). We march for two days, occasionally passing out and trying to wake each other before we die. We get inside the temple we're supposed to assault... and everything there is like 10th level. Funny thing is this is the only mission we were given, and he kinda railroaded us here so its not like we're not supposed to be here. Well, the idea here apparently is to find alternate means to get what we need. We trade a rusty old trident to dragon through some awesome bluff checks, and begin to go about doing the mission right. We're busy trying to get another ring from an Orc, he wants something that we don't have and truthfully weren't willing to go get. So the rogue tries a pick pockets attempt (he has mastery in it, +13 and rolls a 19... so 32 vs the orc's sense motive), and automatically gets caught according to the DM. Next thing we know we have an orc warrior throwing 4+ daggers a round at us dealing out over 10 damage each... we take the hint, tuck our tails between our legs and run. We rest at night out of neccessity in what we thought was a safe room. We awaken to find ourselves confronted by a Raksasha (at 4th level mind you...) and the only way out locked... mkay... so we start a grueling battle with the Raksasha. The DM starts to get angry after awhile when we're not hurting it (gee imagine that, DR 15/ SR 27...) and its kicking our butts. He keeps telling us that its easy to kill... just look in your inventory... hmm.. no blessed crossbow bolts or holy piercing weapons... not even a silver or masterwork. Maybe someone has some kitten chow and neglected to mention it? The Dm got even angrier... decided to fudge it and say the Raksasha had no weapons... and after two hours we kill it?!? Then everyone is angry, they pack up and head home halfway into the game. Not exactly a fun time. Now the DM is angry cause we told him that he's making the game too hard and overpowering. We literally can kill nothing... except I forgot to add his DM NPC he was playing that can do anything. His response: It's not my fault it's too hard, the campaign setting is written that way... last time I looked in most low magic/ power campaign settings you don't throw creatures with high DR's against parties 6 levels lower than the CR...

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Bryan898 said:
Not exactly a fun time. Now the DM is angry cause we told him that he's making the game too hard and overpowering. We literally can kill nothing... except I forgot to add his DM NPC he was playing that can do anything.

A DM run NPC that is superpowerful while the rest of the party is a pack of chumps? Woo-hoo! Good times! Ah, the thrills you must have had while the DM reinvented dues ex machinia with every encounter. The joy you knew while you were being berated for being so stupid while the DMs alter-ego achived newfound glory at every turn. These are the moments we live for as gamers!

But really, game sessions of enforced impotence observing the DM bask in his own manufactured glory is roughly as much fun as getting a railroad spike jabbed up your colon. Our group has never fallen prey to that problem, but then we're armed with paintball guns. An armed gaming group is a polite gaming group.

But, let's be fair to the guy. Midnight really is a hard setting to run. You're supposed to have adventures where the "treasure" is a month's worth of rations and you can just about give up on the idea of magic items. Which is why it's always a good idea in any new setting to run the introductory adventure* and pick up a module that was designed for that setting.

That said the guy railroaded you at every turn and blamed you for his poorly designed encounters. I'm not going to fault him for tossing out CR11 critters at you, you're supposed to do a lot of running away and hiding. But he seemed to over-protect NPCs that you could take out while putting you in combat with NPCs that you couldn't. That makes no sense. A DM should never get attached to his NPCs because they essentially exist to be defeated.

I don't know what to say other than to just tell him that you don't feel that the setting is working for you. Don't run down the laundry list of DM boo-boos that he's made. Just say Midnight isn't doing it for you and leave it at that.

Good luck!

-Biggus Geekus

* PS It is my firm belief that all campaign books should have an introductory adventure. No exceptions. If the publisher is running low on space they can always cut out a prestige class , race, or some of the new spells. But to not have an introductory adventure borders on the criminal to my mind.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
Yikes. I was with you through the first two paragraphs and then everything became a blur. Ok, where to begin?

First off, your DM has totally missed the boat on what Midnight is supposed to be. Is it a bleak setting? You bet. Does it mean that everything the players encounter is supposed to be unkillable. Not at all.

It also seems like he's treating the world as any other D&D campaign. Dragons and rakshasas? Things like that are extremely rare, if not found at all, in Midnight. Your DM is also trying to control and railroad you at every step of the way. The worst thing a DM can do is prevent something from happening just because he didn't expect.

Honestly, it sounds like he's just not a good DM, plain and simple. A bad DM coupled with a difficult campaign setting to run like Midnight makes for a bad combination. If people are leaving midway through a session, something has to be done. I would talk to the other players and ask them what they want to do. If everyone is friends, then don't gang up on the DM but you certainly have to intervene.

If you choose to continue to run Midnight, start with the Crown of Shadow module. And check out www.againsttheshadow.org. It's a great site and forum just on Midnight.

iwatt

First Post
Bryan898 said:
We literally can kill nothing... except I forgot to add his DM NPC he was playing that can do anything....

There's your answer.

I've played railroading games and had a ton of fun.

I've played with DMs who wing every last thing, and don't even prepare, and it's been a ton of fun.

I've played evil campaigns full of backstabbing (player to player) and it's been tons of fun.

But I've never had much fun been a spectator, seeing how cool the DMs NPC is.

I Haven't read the Midnight Setting, but from what I've heard it's supposed to be grim and lethal, but your DM seems to take it to extremes.

My Advice: talk with him outside of the day you game, when tempers are cooler. And use tact. He's (apparently from your side of the story) a sucky DM, but DON'T say that to his face. Discuss that you were expecting another game and this high level of lethalness doesn't appeal to your sense of heroic fantasy.

iwatt

First Post
Damn, everything I just said was on BG's post.

Note to self: Work on Posting quickness. Must become faster. :D

NTZ

First Post
Sounds like your group needs to make some changes, and fast. I can't imagine anyone having fun at your current campaign as you describe it! Perhaps someone else in the group can offer to 'step up to the plate' and run a game?

Speaking as someone who has recently startted DMing a Midnight campaign I think the title of your thread is misguided. Your rant concerns your DM and not Midnight. So far I have had a lot of fun with the setting! :cool:

NTZ

Kae'Yoss

First Post
If I get this right, the campaign is screwed up. Throw it away and start anew. Too much bad feeling in that one.

Some of my points (in addition to those the others have said)

Midnight is supposed to be a bleak setting, a setting where you know you'll fail ultimately. But it's not a setting where you cannot achieve anything. Actually, the heroes in midnight are extremely powerful (but that's in part to make up for all the magic items you don't get).

I think that there should be fights you can win. Not all of them, mind. There should always be enemies that you should be supposed to avoid. Like that whole battalion of orcs. But it shouldn't be something you only learn when you have started trading blows, for that is too late: once they find some resistance, they're going to destroy it, and they won't stop till they succeeded in the name of Izrador. And they have just seen you personally, so they know how you look. And they saw you running, so they have a pretty good idea where you are. That's just something you might get out of once or twice, but not every single encounter.

Then there's that thing about importet adventure: The way you describe it, he didn't think a second before he did this. Midnight is not compatible to your average D&D module. You must put it through a lot of modifications before it reflects the flair of Midnight (knowledge and magic are forbidden on pain of death, evil reigns supreme, magic words differently, magic items are extremely rare, people might not help you, there is no such thing as a hard currency, and so on).

MarkAHart

Explorer
Although I've not played in it, the Midnight setting reads like it would require a different form of storytelling than many other campaigns. In some ways, it brings to mind "Dark Sun," wherein water and food were precious, everything was out to eat you, and in the end you were doomed anyway. Some players just don't enjoy a setting where ultimately their characters must fail (or at least, their successes are small and limited).

Another Iowan here...from Cedar Rapids...

Bryan898

First Post
Incidentally and completely unrelated, what part of Iowa are you from?

Cedar Falls/ Waterloo area.

Speaking as someone who has recently startted DMing a Midnight campaign I think the title of your thread is misguided. Your rant concerns your DM and not Midnight. So far I have had a lot of fun with the setting!

I didn't intend the title to mean the setting is bad, flawed or anyway wrong, it's simply the title we've given to his campaign. Truthfully I think the campaign setting is great, and has plenty of awesome flavor, or else I wouldn't have shown it to him.

We started on the adventure that comes in the book... it was great, stellar even. He did a good job, and the adventure afterwards was good. But two to three bad sessions in a row...

Anyway, thanks for any advice on how to deal with the situation. I'm usually on the other side of the screen so don't have to deal with this too often.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads