• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Rant on the 4E "Presentation"

ascendance

First Post
Since I was at the launch announcement, I can definitely agree with the original poster's comments. Credible or not, the presenters were game designers, not PR people, and had little ability to work the crowd and build enthusiasm. While I'm not expecting Steven Jobs' reality distortion field, I do expect to be entertained and enthused about the launch of the most exciting new product to come down the pipeline in years.

I was bored enough to leave after 20 minutes. Sadly, I lost the free t-shirt (left it in the hotel room), and the USB drive (broke off my keychain).

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
ascendance said:
While I'm not expecting Steven Jobs' reality distortion field, I do expect to be entertained and enthused about the launch of the most exciting new product to come down the pipeline in years.

D&D needs a Steve Jobs. We've got Wozniak-like figures all over the place, and at least one John Sculley figure. Ryan Dancey had come the closest, but really never seemed as "in love" with whatever the current direction was. Some designers, if they had acheived more power and control (Monte, SKR) had the passion and dynamism.

Maybe Scott Rouse should look into Black turtlenecks. I've never seen him or seen him speak, so I have no idea. I suspect that his commitment is true but he lacks the deep visceral connection he'd need for a true RDF.

To Rouse: Go on the D&D Podcast so I can see if your voice is RDF-Worthy.

Marshall

First Post
Vigilance said:
This game is 8 months away.

NO, its not.

This game is less than 2 months away. The races and classes books is most likely DONE(it has to be to be at the printers in time to make the DEC release date). It would cost WotC exactly NOTHING to release a list of the classes/races in that book.

Yet, they still wont even confirm/deny the presence of a Warlord, Ranger, Paladin, Gnome etc...

How about confirming or denying talent trees? A name of a class ability(labeled as such)? A spell list? An example spell? Something....

...On the "this time with 3e thing" there was a LOT more info out there 6-8 months out. Its just that that was a lot more than 2 months in.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Marshall said:
NO, its not.

This game is less than 2 months away. The races and classes books is most likely DONE(it has to be to be at the printers in time to make the DEC release date). It would cost WotC exactly NOTHING to release a list of the classes/races in that book.

Yet, they still wont even confirm/deny the presence of a Warlord, Ranger, Paladin, Gnome etc...

How about confirming or denying talent trees? A name of a class ability(labeled as such)? A spell list? An example spell? Something....

...On the "this time with 3e thing" there was a LOT more info out there 6-8 months out. Its just that that was a lot more than 2 months in.

How is the game less than 2 months away? THE three main rule books won't be out till June.

There is information floating around if you are willing to look. 8 classes in the core book: Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, Ranger, Warlord, Warlock, and Paladin. Several races have been pretty much confirmed in the phb: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Eladrin, and Tiefling. Half elf is also strongly hinted at as well as one more secret race. Gnomes have been confirmed to be playable out of the MM.

I doubt we will get hard mechanics until early next year, since there is still a small amount of flux and WotC most likely does not want to say something that may end up changing.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Kaladhan said:
That phrase is exactly my rant about the whole 4E. That phrase is totally false. Most of the mechanics are fleshed out. The final draft of the PHB has been given or will be given soon enough. Don't tell me they don't know it. It's just an excuse they use, and it's starting to piss me off. Do whatever you want with the rules, kill the sacred cows you want, but at least take the responsability and don't give us that crap.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=358666

JoeGKushner said:
So far there's been a huge lack of any real information.

We've seen some of the thinking going on behind things but very little in terms of actual game mechanics.

Are the first mechanical looks we're going to get at the system when the preview books come out?

Are there any plans for a prottype SRD or anything along the lines?

My rant over at RPG.net.

Marshall

First Post
If thats true, that explains a lot of why we're not seeing anything.

Its also equivalent to a movie company charging admission to the trailers for their new releases.

Stupid marketing. Which is what the complaints are about.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
The WP books are apparently meant to be a preview of the style of 4e and an avenue to use some of the leftover art. Not sure if it will be worth to price, but that is an entirely other debate going on in another thread. Also not sure if it is god or bad marketing since we are still getting information, even if it isn't as organized or at the pace which everyone can find acceptable. Personally I am just excited that they are finally moving forward with the game, but I am a change addict.

Vigilance

Explorer
DaveMage said:
Link to WotC source on this?

I know Wizards said it, and this Amazon description sure sounds like a fluff book:

A behind-the-scenes exploration of the Dungeons & Dragons(R) game.

This lavishly illustrated book gives roleplaying game fans a unique, behind-the-curtain glimpse into the making of the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. The book contains essays and asides from the game's premier designers, developers, and editors. Through words and illustrations, it explores some of the D&D game's most iconic races and classes, sharing insights never before revealed in any previous game product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads