• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[RANT] Ridiculous Hype over XBOX 360

ThirdWizard

First Post
I have a rant about the 360, but its generally more about the lack of sufficient improvement over the XBox to warrant a sequel system coming out, thus the 360 being a marketing ploy to try to take away Sony customers but too hastily done to really accomplish that objective to any real degree.

That's the abridged version anyway. It's not quite similar to the previous one presented.

Ranger REG said:
I'm sorry. Maybe I'm not a console fandoof, but what is it about this gotta-have obsession over XBOX 360?
Most people do not have a "gotta-have obsession" unless they are big console fans. Heck, I'm a big console fan, and I'm still a late adopter anyway. Your bias is showing, which is a big part of the reason your rant is getting pretty short shrift from those who read it.
Ranger REG said:
But one of the primary turn-offs: It's from Microsoft!
Now your bias is really showing. No wonder this rant isn't being taken seriously.

mojo1701

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Now your bias is really showing. No wonder this rant isn't being taken seriously.

I think he might be somewhat joking with the "It's from MICROSOFT!" line, considering that REG isn't the kind of person (from what I've seen) that would spew "LOL Microsoft teh suxxorz" or "bill gates iz teh devil wants 2 rul teh woldr."

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I've had a 360 since the day it was released. I've had 0 problems with it, and it's been worth every penny. On another messageboard I frequent daily, there are about 200 X360 owners. Only one had a problem, it was shipped to Microsoft at their expense, and he got a new one within 5 days, complete with a complimentory hard drive and a letter of apology.

Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft is not the Devil, and the 360 actually has very few hardware defects.

KenM

Banned
Banned
After having my Xbox 360 for a few days, i'm pretty happy, but there a couple of things people need to know:

1. The 20 GB hard drive has 8 GB partioned on it for system stuff. So you only get 12 GB. While I understand while they did it, I wish Microsoft would have said that it had done it.

2. My other friends on Xbox live all still have regular Xbox's. I send one of them a message over Xbox live. I got an error saying that he might not get the message becuse the person does not have a 360. Microsoft said from day one that you can send/ recive messages to your friends on live if they have either system.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I don't know why people who aren't interested in a product feel the need to complain about those who are. Not only that, but to spread misinformation to boot.

With any new tech product, there are early adopters. Those in this category know that they will pay two premiums: a) higher cost and b) glitches. When you compare the 360 to inflation-adjusted prices of console launches back to the Atari 2600, it comes out rather favorably, actually. And others have already pointed out the over-hyping of the 360's "plague" of defects.

Ranger REG said:
You're better off spending your $300 on pen-n-paper RPGs.
Says you. Why should anyone care what you think about how they spend their money? Some people like RPG products. Some people like video games. Some people like Origami. None of those interests is any more or less valid than the others.

I don't have a current generation console yet, but am planning on getting a 360 next year, once I can save up enough for an HDTV. When I was younger, I was more into getting "hot" items when they were new/rare/expensive. These days I'm not into waiting in long lines and paying extra, so I'll wait. But I have no problem with the people who are willing to do that to get what, from most unbiased reviews and commentary that I've seen, to be an enjoyable product. Perfect? Of course not. Do some have mechanic defects? Of course. Vastly superior to current tech? Probably not, depends how you rate "vastly". Better/worse than [insert fanboy console of your choice]? Depends on who you ask. But it has some cool games, nice graphics, a well-integrated multiplayer component, and some interesting media capabilities. Worth $400, to me, although if the price comes down $50 or so by the time I get around to buying it, I won't complain.

TwistedBishop

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
I've had a 360 since the day it was released. I've had 0 problems with it, and it's been worth every penny.

Basically my experience as well. I did experience a single freeze-up early on, when trying to sign into Live, but nothing since. The only heartbreak for me was Oblivion's delay.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't think a launch release for Oblivion was ever likely, or for that matter, desireable, given Bethesda's past history. Games like that need a lot of testing. Some nasty bugs made it into the first version of Morrowind for the Xbox (though later fixed in the GOTY version)

Remove ads