[Rant] The Hobbit Movies are an Abomination

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
I'm still pissed that the 3rd movie didn't include the line "Azog, we have wormsign the likes of which even Sauron has never seen." That would have made it all worth it.

They were entertaining, but I was still a bit disappointed -- I was looking for something more true to the essence of the book. So I'd love to see a "Tolkien edit" that's just the book stuff.

Still, they aren't Ep 1-3 bad, though those movies are entertaining in their own way.

Ryujin

Legend
They were entertaining, but I was still a bit disappointed -- I was looking for something more true to the essence of the book. So I'd love to see a "Tolkien edit" that's just the book stuff.

Still, they aren't Ep 1-3 bad, though those movies are entertaining in their own way.

The 1977 Rankin-Bass "The Hobbit" animated movie is rather good.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I actually enjoyed the recent Hobbit trilogy. I also don't mind that additional material was added to make it into a trilogy and to further connect it to LotR.

There are some things about the films that bug me. For example, Legolas running across falling rock in the third movie is sort of cringe-worthy, not necessarily because of the concept, but because the execution with the CGI was so flawed. However, every movie has something wrong with it if you look (Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of Empire, etc).

As far as comparing the Hobbit trilogy to Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars, I don't see it. I will also say that Episode One is not so bad; it's far from great, but it's not so bad. It has pieces that suck (midiclorians), a racist stereotype character that we all could have done without (Jar jar), a child actor that could have been replaced by a better one, and a podrace that felt like it existed more for the sake of comic relief and selling merchandise than actually being dramatic and furthering the plot. That said, the CG was pretty good, the lightsaber fights were head and shoulders above the original trilogy, the musical score was good (especially for the Darth Maul battle), and it was interesting to see the Jedi in their role as peacekeepers and to see how Palpatine ascended to power.

The second one was certainly downhill from the first. The love story failed and the detective part of the story had no gravitas. The best parts of that movie were 1) seeing Yoda fight for the first time, and 2) the post-slaughter scene.

The third one felt like a step up from the second, but not enough to salavage it. We have a great lightsaber fight and we get to see the payoff as Anakin becomes Vader, but the corruption didn't feel pervasive enough.

Sialia

First Post
Agree agree with post that started this thread. The first was unbearable and I refused to watch the other two.

Just re-read the book with my 7 year old as a bedtime story (over several weeks), and it was everything it should have been just that way.

Also, we made seed cakes for bedtime snack to go with it, and they were darn good.

delericho

Legend
However, every movie has something wrong with it if you look (Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of Empire, etc).

Lando had just had to walk away from his entire life. And the Rebellion probably didn't have access to huge quantities of stylish clothing. So it's not all that unreasonable he would borrow a few items from a friend - especially since Han's wardrobe would have been right there on the Falcon waiting for him.

Remove ads