• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rary, Elminster, and Mordenkainen...

Anubis

First Post
Okay I have a few questions . . . First, in the ELH, HOW is Mordenkainen over 80? He doesn't have the feat that increases lifespan, yet he hasn't taken any stat penalties for age categories. How is that?

Same with Elminster. How did he live so long?

Finally, Rary . . . Anyone got stats for him? I plan to use him in my game, but the book only says 20+, giving nothing specific.

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
Tabarnak Smokeblower said:
Elminster is a chosen of Mystra, maybe that could explain it.

As for Mordenkainen, maybe a couple of wishes can get rid of agin penalties?

TS

Yeah, Chosen of Mystra specifically makes one immune to aging. And as for your explanation for Mordenkainen, it seems likely.

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
ashockney said:
Who says they didn't experience the aging penalites?

It would likely have been noted if this were true. Besides, I can garauntee that Elminster did not, as the Chosen of Mystra template makes one immune to aging. Note: This does not say immune to the effects of aging, but immune to aging, period. Considering Elmister is several centuries old, that makes sense.

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
With these guys, I think that aging becomes optional after you get a few spells (and succesful RPG books) under your belt.

Enkhidu

Explorer
I'm going to go with "Designer's Fiat" on this one - these characters weren't originally created with 3e rules in mind, but with 1st Ed rules, or perhaps before D&D at all (in the case of Ed Greenwood's Original Elmimster).

Anubis

First Post
ashockney said:
Who says they didn't experience the aging penalites?

Just look at his stats. Str 10, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 27, Wis 15, Cha 18. If you remove the items and all aging bonuses and penalties along with 6 stat increases (from wherever) . . . Str 16, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 15, Wis 9, Cha 12 . . .

Certainly I'm not the only one seeing something wrong with base stats like that . . . I don't know any wizard who could start with such stats and live.

One might think Wish and inherent bonuses would make up the difference, but even that gvies stupid results, not to mention such things are always noted somewhere in the description. Also, I don't think Wish is able to restore points lost to aging.

At any rate, I think perhaps they simply didn't factor in aging at all to begin with. If that is the case, his base stats are: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 17 (thereabouts). This seems slightly more realistic, but still not totally.

Macbeth said:
With these guys, I think that aging becomes optional after you get a few spells (and succesful RPG books) under your belt.

LOL. :D

Last edited:

ashockney

First Post
Anubis said:

Just look at his stats . . . Str 16, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 15, Wis 9, Cha 12 . . .

I don't know any wizard who could start with such stats and live.

Perhaps a wizard that's actually a fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard? (Elminster per his novels?)

Remove ads