• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E RAS's Maestro: Future products and a bit of a rant. (MAJOR SPOILER ALERT)

Corpsetaker

First Post
If you have not read the book then please STOP reading now.

Anyway it seems that Demogorgan and now dead. I don't mean killed on the Prime and returned to the Abyss, I mean dead. Now this could be an illusion of some sorts but right now I don't see it. Now if he is dead for good then this really angers me because this is just a continuation of WoTc destroying anything they feel like just to further a story. Demogorgan is a major player in the world of Dungeon and Dragons and it seems that nothing is safe anymore. If you are fans of Forgotten Realms then you will now they destroyed Shade and took out half of Myth Drannor with it. Before that we had the awful Spellplague which destroyed a good bit of the Realms and made the place a mess. Well they went back and changed things because they realized their error which was a good thing. Well it seems their "itch" for senseless destruction needed to be scratched so they decided to use iconic places and monsters and just take them out. Because RAS is their top novelist anything he writes I'm sure becomes canon so it looks like future products will not contain Demogorgan.

So who is next in the demon lord write up? It looks to me like drow are being shoved even more as the centre of attention and it's really getting annoying. I have always been a major fan of the drow but enough is enough. I'm tired of the Mary Sue Drizzt because anything they put him up against he will defeat because they will not slaughter their cash cow. I don't want to see future dictated by RAS's writings.

Yes I know I can change things in "my" Realms but that's another topic.

*end rant*

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Time in the Realms moves on. Stories and plots happen. You can't expect every single character to remain upright until the end of time. And anyone who doesn't like what is so-called "canon" in the Realms just has to make the choice not to concern themselves with "canon".

But as far as Drizzt is concerned... if anyone wants him to stop being such an intricate part of the Realms, all you have to do is convince people to stop buying Bob's books. Like it or not, the books sell. And it's not even like they are being sold to one small segment of the readership... The Crystal Shard is coming up on its 30th Anniversary. Which means these books of Salvatore's are continuing to be sold to readers of all ages, both older and younger.

You people here on the boards might not like him, but the character sells. Which means Bob will come up with all manner of stories to place him in, and get the honor to make small changes to the Realms to accommodate that as he sees fit. And if folks don't like it... stop caring about "Realms canon". Cause you're going to be disappointed.

Benji

First Post
I you don't like drow and don't like Drizzt, why are you even reading a book starring Drizzt & set in the underdark? I don't have a fondness for Drizzt - I didn't read the book. Therefore, Demogorgon being dead isn't a thing I knew about (outside of Out Of The Abyss possible plotlines) therefore, I'd use demogorgon in a campaign an not be concerned.

In short I'm confused about what you're complaining about. Are you worried that if you use him a player might go 'BUT HE'S DEAD' because that's pretty fixable with a million different plot devices. Or are you complaining that in fiction, villains sometimes die?

Prism

Explorer
No idea why you think that he is dead forever. He is described as dissolving under Drizzt's blades as he delivers the killing blow. Off to the Abyss he goes

Not sure where your rant comes from

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Just remember that Forgotten Realms has a long and reliable tradition of killing off Demon Lords and Deities and then bringing them back again.

The Tabletop already had the Adventure with Demogorgon. So he does not need to feature in too many future products for this edition unless they are describing the Abyss.

But I don't get how you think Demogorgon is dead. There was nothing to suggest he was anything other then banished back to the Abyss.

Drizzt also was not a mary sue. He lost fights and had a great deal of difficulty the entire book. He was a protagonist. The encounter with Demogorgon can hardly even be called a fight. Drizzt was terrified of Demogorgon and could do nothing to him. Eventually just running away in terror.

Demogrogon was only beaten by powerful ritual magic from the chosen of Lolth dumping the power of thousands of spells into a blade and giving Drizzt one shot to hit Demogorgon with it.

Jabborwacky

First Post
Didn't Orcus die at some point in the past, too? I think around 2nd edition, if I recall. I wouldn't be surprised if in some paperback any number of other big antagonists bit the dust as well. Eventually, every character reaches the end of their time. Meeting Elminster will someday only be possible through the carefully scribed books in candlekeep-- A man who lived a great and wonderous life who taught others to do the same.

On the other hand, there is no reason to treat what happens in the novels as the word of law for your game. Demogorgon is fully statted in Out of the Abyss and you can always introduce him into one of your games.

Remove ads