• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate Avatar (James Cameron)

Rate Avatar

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 3 3.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 9 9.0%

Votes: 14 14.0%

Votes: 25 25.0%

Votes: 31 31.0%

Votes: 8 8.0%

Story originality as a concept is over-rated...mostly because it doesn't actually exist. The volume of works in different media is so great that artists struggle to simply provide an attractive and entertaining presentation that seems fresh to the audience. In my mind, Cameron succeeded tremendously well on that.

As an example, the story of Star Wars was trite a thousand years ago. It was a stereotypical heroic arc where the farmboy finds he was born to greatness, overcomes great evil, and saves the world/galaxy. The imaginative presentation by Lucas was what made the movie stand out as remarkable. Avatar is in the same vein, and it pushes the bounds on SFX in a similar manner.

Avatar shows the kind of loving attention to detail that Tolkein used in creating Middle Earth -- that kind of world-building should be very familiar to the folks on these forums! I found it completely immersive. The characters were archetypes, but they weren't two-dimensional. The villian seemed to honestly care for his men, the noble scientist was an abrasive chain-smoker, and the jealous rival put aside his differences at the right time.

I didn't find the references to unobtainium distracting. The whole point of the reference was to say to the savvy audience, "Yes, we know the properties of this substance are poorly explained and scientifically questionable, but we want eye-candy scenes set in floating mountains, so just roll with it." It is refreshing to have a wink at the audience rather than an assumption that we're all morons who won't notice the details.

I gave it a 9. It was, as everybody keeps saying, visually stunning, and the plot was good enough to not detract from the film. That, in the year of an awful Transformers film, is a big plus to me.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. I loved it, and gave it a 9. Yeah, they story wasn't heavyweight, but I didn't expect that going in so I don't find it to be a flaw overall. It was certainly visually stunning. I'll have to see it again, because I am sure I missed things.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
two weeks out and Avatar has taken in...

Domestic: $212,268,000 (34.5%) + Foreign: $402,900,000 (65.5%) = Worldwide: $615,168,000

Also, it only dropped 3% from last week in box office take!

zen_hydra

First Post
As others have said, I found the story to be a retread of paths covered too many times already. I wasn't sold on the 3D at first. It took me a while before it stopped feeling gimmicky, and I stopped constantly noticing my glasses. When it finally did, and I found myself immersed in awesome alien world I was blown away. The movie tried to pass itself off a little too much like hard sci-fi, but was really purely a fantasy film. The Na'vi are bit too cat-girl/elf to be even remotely plausible as an independently evolving humanoid species, which also happens to have compatible DNA with humanity, and culture and language nearly identical to humanity. Right, willing suspension of disbelief. Beyond the rehashed story, and the "aliens" that were designed to be physically attractive to humans, the biggest plot hole is why the Na'vi would know that the spirit tree could do the switcheroo thing you saw it do later in the film. They had no reason to have had need of that ability until the humans came along, and it was portrayed as unprecedented until it was tried. ...but even with all of my gripes, I thought it was entertaining and a brilliant proof-of-concept for the technology.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
which also happens to have compatible DNA with humanity.

FWIW information about the film explains that the Na'vi don't have DNA at all, and there was a handwavium process by which human DNA could be effectively merged with Na'vi cellular information transcription mechanisms.

I can understand why they didn't try to put that into the film though - not enough time for effectively low-story-value information.

Cheers

Klaus

First Post
FWIW information about the film explains that the Na'vi don't have DNA at all, and there was a handwavium process by which human DNA could be effectively merged with Na'vi cellular information transcription mechanisms.

I can understand why they didn't try to put that into the film though - not enough time for effectively low-story-value information.

Cheers
Na'vi have DNA. Jack specifically mentioned the avatars were created by using human DNA with DNA from the natives.

"Handwavium"? HA, love it! Yoinked!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Na'vi have DNA. Jack specifically mentioned the avatars were created by using human DNA with DNA from the natives.

My memory was pulling information from this source the_avatar_program [Pandorapedia] which may well be non-canonical. I've not seen the book "pandora field guide" or whatever it is called, but it would be interesting to see how they describe it there.

After all, Jake was "just a grunt, no offense" :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
BTW calling the macguffin unOBTAINium (geddit? geddit?) was like something out of a bad SNL sketch.

Um, Krug, I think you missed that it was a joke.

In the movie, we're never told the real name of the mineral. They just use the normal engineering "this stuff is super valuable" name.

Either that, or it is scientists paying homage to the term. Essentially "we've been using this word for centuries to mean any nearly-magical perfect substance, and now we actually found it".

Either way, I don't find it cheesy at all. But, you'd have to actually know the term to get that context though.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Um, Krug, I think you missed that it was a joke.

In the movie, we're never told the real name of the mineral. They just use the normal engineering "this stuff is super valuable" name.

Either that, or it is scientists paying homage to the term. Essentially "we've been using this word for centuries to mean any nearly-magical perfect substance, and now we actually found it".

Either way, I don't find it cheesy at all. But, you'd have to actually know the term to get that context though.

Uh well it was a poorly done joke. The way it was said (and I think corp guy used the term twice) came across as if that was the actual name. But humour has never been Cameron's strong point...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads