Rate S3 - Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Rate S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

• Poll closed .

Uder

First Post
Never ran it, never played more than an hour into into (multiple times, as a preteen). Gave it an 8 purely for the Erol Otus paintings.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I gave it an 8, but there's probably a big nostalgia bonus in there. I have good memories of this module - it opened my eyes to non-fantasy roleplaying.

Melan

Explorer
I gave it a six. The basic idea of mixing science fiction and fantasy is solid, but it has been done much better by other authors, way before S3 was published. The dungeon is too large and too empty, with too many empty or identical rooms. The illustrations, of course, are top notch.

jasper

Rotten DM
The map was excellent and the monsters were new then. However it could used some dm notes on game play to help newbie dms. And it played best when the players never heard of it and were not power gamers or munckins.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Haloq Jakar said:
...Played like a bad gamma world module but then was there ever a "good" gamma world module?

Legion of Gold.

;)

I gave S3 an "8". IMO, it's a good solid adventure, but I can understand how the "you've got sci-fi in my fantasy!" aspect of the adventure, would turn some players or DMs off.

Bregh

Explorer
Melan said:
I gave it a six. The basic idea of mixing science fiction and fantasy is solid, but it has been done much better by other authors, way before S3 was published. The dungeon is too large and too empty, with too many empty or identical rooms. The illustrations, of course, are top notch.

I rated it an 7, and my complaints (and positive remarks) are basically identical to yours.

I really liked the weird new monsters, though, and have used them outside the module on many occasions.

Remove ads