• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate Serenity

How does Serenity make you feel?

• 1. What the hell was that? My eyes are bleeding!

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Awful. Joss is losing it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Very Poor. That was really bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Poor. I hoped for more.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 5. Average. It was okay.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 6. Good. Worth the money.

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 7. Very Good. That was really good.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • 8. Excellent. When is the DVD coming out?

Votes: 53 23.6%
  • 9. Near Perfect. That rocked! Joss is a genius!

Votes: 82 36.4%
  • 10. WOW! I mean Wow! I'm in Firefly heaven!

Votes: 60 26.7%

Mythtify

First Post
I went in cold. I have seen it twice already. It inspired me to go out and buy the DVDs of the series. It was as good as the first Star Wars.

Greylock said:
A "lived-in world". Lucas kinda forgot that was part of the charm.
No, he didn't. The specific point of the clean look to the prequels was not because anything was forgotten...it was a different style, and a different time period. I.e. Golden Age.

[/thread-jack]

Tetsubo

First Post
Just got back from seeing it. Both my wife and I loved it. Makes me mad that the series was canceled all over again. I thought it was better than the last (first?) three Star Wars movies combined. I own the series, I will buy this movie on DVD.

Last edited:

Banshee16

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
The problem I have with that is you shouldn't need a comic prequel to explain stuff for the movie. The biggest failing of the movie, IMO, is that a lot of it is lost if you haven't seen Firefly or read the comic. The movie was, IMO, not sufficiently self-contained as to make certain points, for a big example Book, mean anything. He would have been better off leaving Book and a couple other points out of the movie altogether.

I disagree. I saw the movie tonight with a buddy of mine who hasn't seen the show before. I didn't have to give him any background. He had a few minor questions about some specifics, but mostly "got it". The opening sequence provides all the "introduction" that's needed. And it was worked into the story really well. Brilliant.

I just don't get it these days. I talk to people who haven't "got" a movie, or didn't understand what is going on. Usually all that's needed is to listen to the dialog, IMO. The only movie that left me stumped that I can recently remember was Van Helsing.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Greylock said:
A "lived-in world". Lucas kinda forgot that was part of the charm.

I don't think he did. In Ep 4, 5, and 6, it's a lived in world, in the middle of a galactic civil war, and the heroes are....well....criminals (according to the law of the time).

In Eps 1, 2, and 3, the heroes are, well, the Alliance, enjoying the cleanliness, perfect technology, order etc. of being the forces of law and order. I think there was a point to that.

However, the dialog and story in Serenity....awesome....Lucas just got schooled. Again.

I gave this one a 9. Not like the first Alien, or Empire Strikes Back, but pretty durned fine :)

I only saw one or two episodes of the show when it was actually on. I, like possibly many others, was rather confused by shows appearing in the wrong order, and not knowing which night it was going to be on. Then I picked up the DVDs earlier this year about reading all the threads about Firefly here on EN World, and "got it".

I'd love to see the show come back. Though I'm not sure if that would ever happen. Interestingly, I saw the actor that plays Simon is in an upcoming episode of Ghost Whisperer (I don't watch it, but my fiancé was). And Nate Fillion is the lead in another movied called "Slither" coming out next year. So it's possible the cast is going to be all snapped up, and unable to commit to the show coming back, even if it was given the chance. Though, according to the documentaries on the DVD, the actors seemed to indicate that they largely felt it was the best project "crew" any of them had been on before. So maybe that would make them a bit more willing to make the effort.

If they can't get the TV show back together, I'd be happy with a few sequels in the theatre :)

Definitely a few sad moments. One I kind of expected, the other surprised me.

Guess we just wait and see if the movie does well. With a $40M budget, it probably doesn't even have to do huge numbers to be a success.

Banshee

Last edited:

cuteasaurus

First Post
Awesome...just awesome. I gave it a 9. I'd watch it again in the theaters (which is saying a lot for me) and now during what times I should cover my eyes. ;)

Kryndal Levik

First Post
Fantastic movie. I would recommend it to anyone, whether you're a fan of the series or "new" to Firefly. I would recommend that anyone seeing it rent/buy the DVDs to get full enjoyment of the film, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I think this is the first time in any of these threads that I've given a movie a 10. The only SF movie I've ever seen that I liked this much was Gattaca, and that one had a very different feel to it.

Daniel

KingOfChaos

First Post
I just love Joss's witty dialog ^_^ I plan on seeing it soon. "This is your captain speaking, you can expect a bit of turbulance and then we..uh...explode."

Remove ads