• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rave about classics -- Predator

Frostmarrow

First Post
What I like best is the battle before the predator even joins in the fray. It's always nice to see superior troops take out amatures. -And then it happens again!

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I liked the sequel too. Mostly because it was a true sequel to the story, rather than another Arnie film.

I agree that the testosterone goes over the top, but then you just get an unintended comedy thrown in. :p And sometimes intentional comedy - everyone quotes the uber macho "I ain't got time to bleed" but my favorite is the mocking followup, "Do you have time to duck?". :cool: The movie definitely didn't take itself seriously.

L

Lewis526

I don't think the "honorable warrior" side of the Predator's species is revealed until the sequel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Predator's suicide-bomber response to being beaten show a rather dishonorable side of him?

I'm not criticizing the movie at all, mind you. I was quite young when it first came out, and I both loved it and was terrified by it. I still love it, though it's never been as frightening since the first viewing. I also liked the sequel, Predator 2, and I was almost able to make myself like Predator vs. Alien.

Lewis526 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Predator's suicide-bomber response to being beaten show a rather dishonorable side of him.
I saw that as being more akin to a samurai committing seppuku, as well as ensuring the prey doesn't get their mitts on stuff that would spoil future hunts for others of his kind.

After all, a suicide bomber wouldn't give their target much of a chance to flee, and Arnie certainly got plenty of notice.

Besides, he doesn't go after the unarmed woman ("no sport"), and when it comes down to mano-a-mano with the Governator after he's used up all his tricks, the Predator casts aside most of his weapons, keeping only the comparatively low-tech wrist blades.

I'll agree the Predator code was more fully fleshed out in the 2nd movie, but it wasn't totally absent in the first one either. Then again, most of the first movie focused on what an ex-girlfriend called the "Beef Bag Brigade," with the Predator being the stalker/monster that lurked on the fringes until the final battle in the last reel.

Klaus

First Post
Lewis526 said:
I don't think the "honorable warrior" side of the Predator's species is revealed until the sequel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Predator's suicide-bomber response to being beaten show a rather dishonorable side of him?

I'm not criticizing the movie at all, mind you. I was quite young when it first came out, and I both loved it and was terrified by it. I still love it, though it's never been as frightening since the first viewing. I also liked the sequel, Predator 2, and I was almost able to make myself like Predator vs. Alien.
You're forgetting that Predator 1 shows the Predator not fighting the native girl, since she was unarmed and specially because she was pregnnant. The Predator also opted to face the Native American soldier with melee weapons since he was wielding a knife.

TwistedBishop

First Post
Klaus said:
You're forgetting that Predator 1 shows the Predator not fighting the native girl, since she was unarmed and specially because she was pregnnant. The Predator also opted to face the Native American soldier with melee weapons since he was wielding a knife.

The girl in Predator 1 wasn't pregnant; that was Predator 2 with the lady cop. I suppose it depends on how you look at it. While I like the Predator and all, I never saw their actions as particularly honorable, at least in the films. Every person they have spared was unarmed. Even Danny Glover's character drops his weapon at the end of Predator 2, so he technically hadn't entered a duel with any of them. It's in the Dark Horse comics they're given a greater sense of nobility. In the movies...they're sort of arrogant jerks. Killing you when you're no threat is beneath them. It's nothing about fairness to you, and all about proving how great they are.

Klaus

First Post
TwistedBishop said:
The girl in Predator 1 wasn't pregnant; that was Predator 2 with the lady cop. I suppose it depends on how you look at it. While I like the Predator and all, I never saw their actions as particularly honorable, at least in the films. Every person they have spared was unarmed. Even Danny Glover's character drops his weapon at the end of Predator 2, so he technically hadn't entered a duel with any of them. It's in the Dark Horse comics they're given a greater sense of nobility. In the movies...they're sort of arrogant jerks. Killing you when you're no threat is beneath them. It's nothing about fairness to you, and all about proving how great they are.
You're right about the lady cop, I got them confused.

Whatever their motives, them not killing shows adherence to a Code of Conduct.

Evil Monkey

First Post
I saw Predator for the first time about a year ago, and I loved it. I would love to try to run a short D&D campaign with a similar plot, but my opportunities to play have been severely limited as of late and there are other campaigns I'd like to do first.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads