• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raven familiar and spoken languages

Thanee

First Post
When I have a raven familiar, who is able to speak one language, can the raven also speak the languages I learn with the speak language skill? Generally, a familiar can use the master's skill ranks, if able, and the raven is definitely able to speak.

And what about bonus languages you received from a high intelligence score or race?

What do you think about this?

Is the raven limited to one language only?

Bye
Thanee

Henrix

Explorer
I'd say sure, why not? It would hardly be overpowering, especially if you limit it to languages the character has spent skill points on.
But it's really up to to your DM to decide what takes precedence - speak one language or use master's skills.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
When I asked this a few months back, the general consensus was "YES", a familiar gets the master's skills and speaking a language is a skill. No reason why they wouldn't be able to do it (though IIRC there might be a range limitation).

Wow, I hadn't thought about that. Hopefully, I can talk my DM into it.

My Rogue is primarily a storyteller. He's taking one level of Wiz and getting a Raven familiar next opportunity. He can enliven my storys by croaking in at particular times. Since I'm spending ranks picking up several languages, it'd be great if he could speak them also.

Thanks for the idea, Thanee.

Thanee

First Post
Why don't you play a bard? :)

Well, anyways, how about bonus languages from high intelligence and such? That's not really a skill.

Bye
Thanee

Bards don't get enough skill points, and my Charisma is only 11. I'm taking one level of Bard at eigth level. Since I'm maxing out perform for my storytelling abilities, one level of Bard could be very useful. And when I pick up several ranks in Speak Language as a class skill, the Bard's lack of skills won't be so bad for that one level.

IMC, I wouldn't allow the languages given to first level characters, for high intelligence or race, to be shared with the Raven. It doesn't seem to be covered by the rule text for shared 'skills', and I try to follow the rules to the letter, rather than change them to make more sense. My DM may decide differently though. I'm taking the Wiz/Raven next level (5th) and several new languages as a Bard at 8th, anyway, even if my Raven can only speak one language.

Checking the Player's Handbook last night, there didn't appear to be a range limit on the shared skills, unlike empathic link (one mile), Altertness (arm's length), and shared spells (5 ft.)

Remove ads