• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft Boardgame?

Herschel

Adventurer
I just got back from playing it. We did the Icon of Ravenloft scenario with five people. The set up of the "event" was a little disappointing because they had a couple of people walking around multiple tables but kind of threw groups to teh wolves with the rule books.

As for the game play, there's scenarios for solo or multiple adventurers and no GM needed (which is nice). In just under two hours we finished our scenario (which was listed as good for beginners and for 2-5 characters). It played out pretty straight forward with little need for rules debate (only a slight ambiguity for rules lawyers in the scenario finale which IMO you have to stretch to interpret it the "harder" way.)

Characters are Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, all with their share of awesome. The Wizard went from almost dead to wiping out all but one the baddies in the chapel anf the Fighter was fun to play and easily the most durable party member with all having abilities that help in their "roles" like the Fighter (defender) granting +1 to AC of any allies on the same tile and the Wizard giving +1 to attack roles in like manner.

All-in-all a fun game. Not quite Arkham Horror on my list, but pretty close. Not as fiddly as Arkham or Descent.

Lots of minis too, even though they're monochromatic. The Dragonborn looks a little "Lord of teh Dance" with this pose, the Ranger was hella-cool and the Cleric was also a new sculpt. The rest were from DDM that I saw.

Jor-El

First Post
Hmmm. I'm kind of disappointed. I thought it was supposed to release in August, and I figured Gencon would be the place to pick it up first. :erm:

Herschel

Adventurer
They're selling 100 copies/day at the WotC booth, which makes it tough if you are in an event in the morning. Heck, many people are so busy they don't get to teh dealer room very often or for very long. I just got back to teh hotel and my next event is in 7.5 hours w/ a 1 hour break before the one after that.

They're selling 100 copies/day at the WotC booth, which makes it tough if you are in an event in the morning. Heck, many people are so busy they don't get to teh dealer room very often or for very long. I just got back to teh hotel and my next event is in 7.5 hours w/ a 1 hour break before the one after that.
...So, they do have copies of Castle Ravenloft for sale at GenCon?

I'm not sure why I care, I'm about 2000 miles away and in a different country, and my passport is expired. lol

Jor-El

First Post

Excellent. Hopefully they have some left today!

Remove ads