• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft delayed to August 31

DonAdam

Explorer
Amazon pushed back, changed date on the WOTC website, and confirmed from FLGS. Three points make a plane. Or a demi-plane.

That's right, you've been denied the game and you only get my bad pun as comfort.

But I did play it at Gencon and had a good time.

JustKim

First Post
Thanks for the link!

From the unboxing, it doesn't look like there are really very many tile pieces at all, there are just 4 sheets shared by counters. And I read in the instructions that you can advance to 2nd level only. This is a bit limited for such a high end game. I might just wait and see if there's an expansion planned.

malraux

First Post
Thanks for the link!

From the unboxing, it doesn't look like there are really very many tile pieces at all, there are just 4 sheets shared by counters.
There are ~41 4x4 tile pieces.
And I read in the instructions that you can advance to 2nd level only. This is a bit limited for such a high end game. I might just wait and see if there's an expansion planned.

with a playtime of ~1 hour, leveling more than once would require leveling every 20 minutes. That's a pretty steep leveling curve.

JustKim

First Post
with a playtime of ~1 hour, leveling more than once would require leveling every 20 minutes. That's a pretty steep leveling curve.
According to the instructions, leveling is as easy as rolling a 20, among other things. I expect that there will be opportunity to advance beyond 2nd level, but we'll be limited by the rules. A play time of 1 hour is also pretty short for this kind of game, but I wonder if that isn't underestimated to attract people.

41 tiles does sound pretty good. There really didn't seem to be that many in the video.

malraux

First Post
According to the instructions, leveling is as easy as rolling a 20, among other things. I expect that there will be opportunity to advance beyond 2nd level, but we'll be limited by the rules. A play time of 1 hour is also pretty short for this kind of game, but I wonder if that isn't underestimated to attract people.

The gencon numbers I've heard are <1.5 hours including learning the rules and punching out all the tiles.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
For those that played - is it the kind of game you'd like to play again and again or is it the type that once you've played it, the mystery is gone?

MrMyth

First Post
Thanks for the link!

From the unboxing, it doesn't look like there are really very many tile pieces at all, there are just 4 sheets shared by counters. And I read in the instructions that you can advance to 2nd level only. This is a bit limited for such a high end game. I might just wait and see if there's an expansion planned.

Well, keep in mind that if you have too much levelling possible, that makes it a lot harder to balance the difficulty of the game. A group that levels fast overwhelms things; if you adjust enemies to compensate, a group with a few bad rolls will get wiped out. Plus, more to keep track of, as you need extra character cards, etc.

Having one bonus level seems a good approach - it retains the thrill of going up in level, without them needing to overhaul the entire game to adapt to it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads