• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravenloft fans I need help

cousin_avi

First Post
I have created a character for an upcoming Ravenloft game and basically, he will be a paladin based off colonial New England, the funky hats and all. He will be just as superstitious as the folk of that time were. Now my problem is that I am trying to think of a place that basically is the New England of that time. The same sort of feel etc.. What would you recomend to me as a good place? I have the core book but I was hoping experienced Ravenloft players could give me a hand. The name of the province and town would be greatly appreciated. I also just bought the gazetteer but I have not had a chance to look through it. Thanks in advance

brak1

Amateur Fortean
I think he's looking for a place in Ravenloft itself - correct cousin_avi?

I know there's a specific area in Ravenloft that would be perfect, but I can't remember for the life of me. If no one else comes up with it I'll check back in once I get home and access the books.

cousin_avi

First Post
Right brak, I am looking more of the geographical area, the concept/character is done. That would be great if you could look that up for me. I was thinking he would have a little farm in the country, an apple orchard and all that stuff, I see the place in my head, I just wish I could get an actual location from the Ravenloft Setting, thanks again

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Tepest, maybe. Although that domain is a little more Celt-centric, it has the right flavor of intolerance that the Puritans had.

But I think Mordent is the domain some people are thinking of, it has a general English feel, with moors and black dogs and whatnot. ;)

brak1

Amateur Fortean
Well, I think you're right about the religious intolerance angle of Tepest, Andrew. And it's an interesting domain. Reminds me of the Europe of Frankenstien movies, though.

I was thinking of Mordent, myself. It's not the same level of Puritanism as you're looking for, cousin_avi, but it's the closest culture wise to an early New England. You've got the bleak, rocky coastline, the inbred fishing villages and, best of all, the abandoned houses dotting blasted heaths in dim, mist shrouded parts of the land.

I think either one might provide you with a good starting point. The only other interesting point about Mordent is that it's where Rudolph Van Richten was from.

cousin_avi

First Post
I was thinking that Mordent was the best place for the character to come from. In fact down the road, I was going to have the character continue the good doctors work. Which begs the question, does Sword&Sorcery have any plans to bring Van Richten back or just go with his legacy? And is anyone incorperating him into their games?? If so how. Thanks guys

Mangrum

First Post
cousin_avi said:
I was thinking that Mordent was the best place for the character to come from.

That would have been my first suggestion.

cousin_avi said:
Which begs the question, does Sword&Sorcery have any plans to bring Van Richten back or just go with his legacy?

Not van Richten himself, no, but the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins have taken up his banner and generally need more help than he did. :)

Remove ads