D&D General Ravenloft: Monsters vs Darklords

Interestingly there was actually 3 Dungeon adventures set in Valachan, the aforementioned Felkovic's Cat, Price of Revenge, and the Laughing Man.

And all are now unusable in the "new" Valachan! Good lord, WoTC.
So use the old Valachan as the setting, or create a domain with similar properties.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Interestingly there was actually 3 Dungeon adventures set in Valachan, the aforementioned Felkovic's Cat, Price of Revenge, and the Laughing Man.

And all are now unusable in the "new" Valachan! Good lord, WoTC.
Price of Revenge has no connection to the Dark Lord and is set in a pretty generic mountain village and could happen anywhere really,
Laughing Man can also be set anywhere as its focussed on a cursed object rather than a place

So use the old Valachan as the setting, or create a domain with similar properties.

Something I like to point out is the 2E books are all available and work totally fine. My biggest issue is trying to schedule a ravenloft campaign about once a year (I run mostly other games I am working on so I have short windows of time to run D&D). I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you pick up the 2E PHB and DMG, it will open up all those classic settings that have a ton of material. I am thinking of giving either Feast of Goblyns or Castles Forlorn another spin this year

Voadam

Legend
Something I like to point out is the 2E books are all available and work totally fine. My biggest issue is trying to schedule a ravenloft campaign about once a year (I run mostly other games I am working on so I have short windows of time to run D&D). I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you pick up the 2E PHB and DMG, it will open up all those classic settings that have a ton of material. I am thinking of giving either Feast of Goblyns or Castles Forlorn another spin this year
They can definitely be used straight but a lot can also be adapted to other rules sets or settings fairly easily.

In my 5e conversion of the Pathfinder Gothic horror adventure path I had a lot of Ravenloft as a past history of Ustalav with Barovia as one of the former counties so the party was able to pick up a copy of Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts and use it when they were dealing with ghosts and I was able to lend my copy to the PC researcher for her to read with the advice to skip the grey DM mechanics info. It worked really well and was easy to incorporate in my 5e game.

Remove ads