• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I neither run nor like FR. For me, and probably for other homebrew setting DMs, the book IS just an adventure book. If it's done well, there might be a handful of elements apart from the adventure that can give me inspiration for my own creations, but I can't expect that to be present before buying it (these things often come up only on a thorough reading of the product). If it's tied too heavily to the FR setting, the amount of work I'll have to put in to make it fit my setting will make the book not worth the full $50 price tag (especially for a book that covers the fastest moving character levels).

Well, in addition to being multiple adventures in one, much of the book apprentlly details how to run a game in a major city, including many charts. The book seems to have a good deal of utility for homebrewed, as is the norm for WotC FR APs.

MechaPilot

Explorer
They talked all about it during the Stream of Many Eyes when it was introduced. And the current issue of Dragon+ has an extensive preview article detailing how it works.

Ah. That would be why I'd never heard of it. I don't view the streams and I don't subscribe to Dragon+. If it's not in the product info, put forth here on EnWorld, or mentioned in a YouTube video I won't be aware of it.

Although that does raise the question of why it's not in the product info. The product is listed as an adventure for levels 1-5, and the details fails to mention multiple adventures, which is odd because Tales from the Yawning Portal clearly mentions seven adventures.

pkt77242

Explorer
So... I got my hopes up and was disappointed. And so I should get my hopes up again?
Won't I likely just be disappointed again?

The original point was that there was no reason to be disappointed today, that you are overreacting to something to which you don’t have the answer.

Ultimately you get to choose how you respond to it. Ravnica isn’t what I wanted (my preference is Dragonlance but I highly doubt that it will be happen) but I do hold out some hope that the announcement tomorrow will bring some things of interest to me. I just don’t see the reason to get worked up when you don’t even know what they will announce tomorrow.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Well, in addition to being multiple adventures in one, much of the book apprentlly details how to run a game in a major city, including many charts. The book seems to have a good deal of utility for homebrewed, as is the norm for WotC FR APs.

I agree that material for better running city-based adventures would give the book more value to homebrew DMs. I hope that section of the book is very robust.

gyor

Legend
We've had a number of Ravnica playtests in the past year, such as the M:tG Centaur & Minotaur. Warforged and Artificers would be more blatant, but not much.

Yep, I just did some research into Ravnica being unfamiliar with the setting, and I found someones homebrew version of Ravnica 5e D&D just to get an idea of what we might be able to expect, and two of the races were Minotaur and Centaur, which we have had a UA on, but which fit into D&D well enough not to tip WotC's hand on Ravnica.

Now for me the question is how does this fit into ALs plans, if at all. Could parts or all of it be AL legal?

Does Sigil have portals to Ravnica?

Does D&D Ravnica interact with the regular D&D universe at all? Will their be a Ravnica adventure?

Magean

Explorer
I was hoping for Eberron and / or Dark Sun but this is not bad news, Ravnica always was my favored Magic setting. And in many ways, it's Eberron-like; at least the pulp, urban adventures, and faction intrigues part.

In fact I'm considering myself extremely lucky that WotC chose to focus on just that setting. I was expecting a simple pdf as we had for other Magic settings, and this is far beyond my expectations. Anyway, I have enough Eberron material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah. That would be why I'd never heard of it. I don't view the streams and I don't subscribe to Dragon+. If it's not in the product info, put forth here on EnWorld, or mentioned in a YouTube video I won't be aware of it.

Although that does raise the question of why it's not in the product info. The product is listed as an adventure for levels 1-5, and the details fails to mention multiple adventures, which is odd because Tales from the Yawning Portal clearly mentions seven adventures.

It's not multiple adventures the way that TftYP is, it is more like the random elements in Ravenloft: the main adventure can take place in one of four seasons, which switches the antagonist and a number of minor encounters. So, less multiple adventures, as multiple events that can be recombined or reused as needed.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Plus, what other people seem to already be forgetting about Dragon Heist is that it is four separate level 1-5 adventures, one for each season and with four different bosses at the end to deal with.

Yeah, that’s the bit I don’t like. Seems like a cop out (but perhaps it’s a way to put the focus on different parts of the city so the sourcebook material is more organically included. But i’m still not thrilled about it.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads