• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

MagicSN

First Post
>One of the fun things about fantasy and science fiction is finding interesting answers to that kind of problem. I'm hoping the writers don't >disappoint.

Yes, that's my point, something like that should not be ignored in the setting. Such a huge amount of people need to be nourished...

>As for the lack of wildness adventuring, well the point of having different campaign settings is to offer a different experience, and if that experience >isn't for you, then to choose a different setting. After all, you can only use one setting at a time.

Sure. I just wondered why make it not logical from the start when doing a new setting. Why not just make it a BIG city instead of a PLANETWIDE city?

I do not say the setting is "not for me", actually I found it pretty interesting to do a full MtG Setting. And I think a new D&D Setting is pretty interesting as well. I just wonder on that "planetwide city" thing. It just doesn't sound consistent to me. I didn't mean to "bad-word" the whole thing, I just wonder how this should work.

Agreed to AtomicPope, if there are means to leave the planet and they could export/import from/to other planets, it would actually "work", but if you can't then not.

A Big City is generic*. Pretty much any setting can have one, including RL. A World city is fantastical. And having fantastical things is the whole point of SF/Fantasy.

*See: Waterdeep

MagicSN

First Post
>A Big City is generic*. Pretty much any setting can have one, including RL. A World city is fantastical. And having fantastical things is the whole point of SF/Fantasy.

Sure, "think fantastic" is good. But throwing all logic out of the window isn't. But well, we will see - maybe this is some SciFi-mixed-with-Fantasy like setting after all, with possibility to go to other planets (I have to admit I do not know too much about MtG-Worlds asides from playing it as a cardgame). I guess we will see when it is released.

>*See: Waterdeep

Waterdeep is not "planet-wide", and has all sorts of means to get nourishments for the people of the city.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
>One of the fun things about fantasy and science fiction is finding interesting answers to that kind of problem. I'm hoping the writers don't >disappoint.

Yes, that's my point, something like that should not be ignored in the setting. Such a huge amount of people need to be nourished...

>As for the lack of wildness adventuring, well the point of having different campaign settings is to offer a different experience, and if that experience >isn't for you, then to choose a different setting. After all, you can only use one setting at a time.

Sure. I just wondered why make it not logical from the start when doing a new setting. Why not just make it a BIG city instead of a PLANETWIDE city?

I do not say the setting is "not for me", actually I found it pretty interesting to do a full MtG Setting. And I think a new D&D Setting is pretty interesting as well. I just wonder on that "planetwide city" thing. It just doesn't sound consistent to me. I didn't mean to "bad-word" the whole thing, I just wonder how this should work.

Agreed to AtomicPope, if there are means to leave the planet and they could export/import from/to other planets, it would actually "work", but if you can't then not.
It isn't a big city because when they made Ravnica for MtG they wanted a plane that was one planar spanning city. As for food production, that and waste disposal is managed by the Golgari, the green/black guild.

>A Big City is generic*. Pretty much any setting can have one, including RL. A World city is fantastical. And having fantastical things is the whole point of SF/Fantasy.

Sure, "think fantastic" is good. But throwing all logic out of the window isn't. But well, we will see - maybe this is some SciFi-mixed-with-Fantasy like setting after all, with possibility to go to other planets (I have to admit I do not know too much about MtG-Worlds asides from playing it as a cardgame). I guess we will see when it is released.

>*See: Waterdeep

Waterdeep is not "planet-wide", and has all sorts of means to get nourishments for the people of the city.

That's the point. Waterdeep is a genetic fantasy big city. If you want a big city that isn't planetwide, you can use the Waterdeep stuff (which can be easily adapted to other settings if required).

There is no evidence that "All logic is being thrown out the window". Every problem has a solution, the more knotty the problem, the more interesting the solution. And that can lead to interesting stories. Fancy a bite of Solent Green?

MidwayHaven

First Post
A planet only consisting of city sounds weird to me. Where do they get
the food for the people? Also it removes all options to do a noncity
adventure.

Food is provided predomimantly by the Golgari guild, which basically uses druidic/necromantic ways to dispose and recycle organic stuff.

As for travel to and from Ravnica, at least the first three novels explicitly state that it's self-contained; planar travel is at first impossible due to the Guildpact's strictions. This has since been loosened at the end of the 3rd novel, though I don't know what "time period" the Guildmasters' Guide would be set in whether it's the novels period, the "Living Guildpact" time period, or the upcoming card expansion's period.

MagicSN

First Post
Food is provided predomimantly by the Golgari guild, which basically uses druidic/necromantic ways to dispose and recycle organic stuff.

As for travel to and from Ravnica, at least the first three novels explicitly state that it's self-contained; planar travel is at first impossible due to the Guildpact's strictions. This has since been loosened at the end of the 3rd novel, though I don't know what "time period" the Guildmasters' Guide would be set in whether it's the novels period, the "Living Guildpact" time period, or the upcoming card expansion's period.

Okay. Maybe I just know too little about MtG worlds ;-) "Just a city" just sounded to me that agriculture is out of the question. But after your explanation it sounds to me that "it is done by magic". Anyways, thanks for the explanation.

schnee

First Post
The thing about Wizards, is they do a LOT of customer research, with solid methodologies.

They know for a fact: forums users are not typical, and keeping us happy doesn't mean a better product. We often bitch about stuff that isn't even a blip on the radar of most customers.

And, seeing as this is literally the most successful D&D ever made, they're doing something right.

I might pick it up next campaign if I feel like my well of ideas is running dry.

vhm74

First Post
First 5e book I'm skipping. I'll stick to FR books, or any other classic D&D setting WOTC might consider recovering. But imho this is no D&D, so I'll pass.

MidwayHaven

First Post
I guess the cover of the book looks *slightly* misleading, which may be why Ravnica could be confused as being high-tech. It shows a wizard of the Izzet, guild of innovation, whose Parun (Guild founder) is a very ancient dragon.

In fact, Ravnica is as fantastic a world as any other previously published for D&D, in some ways even more so. The green guilds (Selesnya, Gruul, Simic, Golgari) give the plane a sense that Ravnica isn't devoid of nature; in fact many buildings are grown from organic material.

I've been homebrewing D&D games set on Ravnica ever since the world came out in MtG in 2004. "Guildmasters' Guide" is THE accessory which definitely has my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads