• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

gyor

Legend
First 5e book I'm skipping. I'll stick to FR books, or any other classic D&D setting WOTC might consider recovering. But imho this is no D&D, so I'll pass.

From what Jeremy said it is D&D, they didn't put in any magic the gathering metasetting details like Mana and colours and you can visit it from portals, Planes, Spelljammers and spells.

In fact if one wasn't familiar with MtG one might not know it was anything other then a D&D setting.

The Big BZ

Explorer
First 5e book I'm skipping. I'll stick to FR books, or any other classic D&D setting WOTC might consider recovering. But imho this is no D&D, so I'll pass.

I played D&D from the late 80's to the late 90's and when I picked it up again when 5e came out I said "What's an Ebberon?"

To me it doesn't feel like D&D but you know what it is. And there's some guy out there who could say the same about Dark Sun, FR etc "Bah humbug Blackmoor or nothing"

One person's classic setting is another person's damn kids get off my lawn horrible innovation.

Ravnica will be no different

Last edited by a moderator:

MidwayHaven

First Post
Would someone familiar with the setting like to suggest a Ravnica reading list, so I can get properly hyped?

View attachment 99734

The three novels could help out; they're formatted basically like separate stories with convergences:

RAVNICA: CITY OF GUILDS follows Agrus Kos, a human Boros guild officer as he tracks down a series of crimes to a hidden guild (the Dimir guild; Ravnica's citizens don't know it exists). It also introduces Fonn (a Selesnya guild elf) and Jarad (a Golgari guild dark elf) as they explore Ravnica's undercity.

GUILDPACT follows baroness Teysa Karlov, a human Orzhov guild lawyer and how she discovers that her own guild may have been tricking her. It also follows a female Izzet goblin named Crix as she helps out in a reclamation zone.

DISSENSION returns to Agrus Kos, who's now a ghost, along with how Teysa helps him uncover an Azorius guild conspiracy. Jarad and Fonn now have a son, who's torn about what guild he wants to join. It's here where (during a sort-of court trial) Ravnica is described as isolated from the rest of the multiverse because of the Guildpact that contained it 10,000 years ago; in fact, it's so self-contained that not even the spirits of the dead can escape. At this point, the novel basically describes Ravnica in the throes of what could only be described as "London Has Fallen": a giant floating vessel crashes into the Azorius guild's chancery, the Rakdos guild (and their demon leader) wreak havoc in the streets, the Simic guild have released a mutant titan, and an entire ghost plane overlays itself on the city. In the end, with the collapse of the Old Guildpact, Teysa crafts a new non-magical Guildpact that seeks to restore order.

These were the only novels crafted for Ravnica; ever since then, it's been implied that Teysa's non-magical Guildpact was pretty much ineffective and the old order was eventually restored. A powerful planeswalker named Jace eventually became the "Living Guildpact" (whatever that means) to rebalance the powers of Ravnica.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to the year 2025 when Wizards will put a New Crobuzon setting out for D&D and the Ravnica nerds will be upset that there is still no new hardcover for their oldschool setting.

View attachment 99734

The three novels could help out; they're formatted basically like separate stories with convergences:

RAVNICA: CITY OF GUILDS follows Agrus Kos, a human Boros guild officer as he tracks down a series of crimes to a hidden guild (the Dimir guild; Ravnica's citizens don't know it exists). It also introduces Fonn (a Selesnya guild elf) and Jarad (a Golgari guild dark elf) as they explore Ravnica's undercity.

GUILDPACT follows baroness Teysa Karlov, a human Orzhov guild lawyer and how she discovers that her own guild may have been tricking her. It also follows a female Izzet goblin named Crix as she helps out in a reclamation zone.

DISSENSION returns to Agrus Kos, who's now a ghost, along with how Teysa helps him uncover an Azorius guild conspiracy. Jarad and Fonn now have a son, who's torn about what guild he wants to join. It's here where (during a sort-of court trial) Ravnica is described as isolated from the rest of the multiverse because of the Guildpact that contained it 10,000 years ago; in fact, it's so self-contained that not even the spirits of the dead can escape. At this point, the novel basically describes Ravnica in the throes of what could only be described as "London Has Fallen": a giant floating vessel crashes into the Azorius guild's chancery, the Rakdos guild (and their demon leader) wreak havoc in the streets, the Simic guild have released a mutant titan, and an entire ghost plane overlays itself on the city. In the end, with the collapse of the Old Guildpact, Teysa crafts a new non-magical Guildpact that seeks to restore order.

These were the only novels crafted for Ravnica; ever since then, it's been implied that Teysa's non-magical Guildpact was pretty much ineffective and the old order was eventually restored. A powerful planeswalker named Jace eventually became the "Living Guildpact" (whatever that means) to rebalance the powers of Ravnica.

Thanks, unfortunately can't see them listed on Amazon UK.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads