• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raw-ambiguity of feats and what you can do

zillah

First Post
Well, I noticed something in the PHB recently. Some feats specifically say melee weapon. Some don't. A perfect example of this would be power attack and hammer rhythm. They both specifically say melee attack.

Weapon focus on the other hand does not. If you have an implement that is a weapon and you take weapon focus, should you or should you not get the + damage on the roll if you make the attack through the weapon?
For example, a crusader's weapon acts as a magic weapon for melee and as an implement. If I take weapon focus: Hammer, should my damage from all my attacks increase accordingly?

Another example is Blood thirst- Melee damage rolls only, but light blade precision does not say melee only.

Daggermaster says crit on 18-20 with daggers, but it doesn't say melee.
Warlocks can sneak attack with their light pact blade

Hammerhead

Explorer
This isn't a case of ambiguity. This is a case of you not reading or understanding clear rules.

Weapon Focus would only add damage on attacks with the weapon, i.e. attacks with the weapon keyword. Yes, Blood Thirst doesn't add to ranged attacks, while Light Blade Precision does...do you have a point? Rogues can throw daggers, you know.

Again, yes, sometimes a Daggermaster might throw a dagger rather than stabbing with one, and get an enhanced critical bonus with either attack. Gasp!

Kordeth

First Post
To say nothing of the fact that shurikens are light blades.

Anyways, what everyone has said here is correct. Weapon attack and damage bonuses apply to weapon attacks. A weapon attack is not an implement attack, even if the implement can double as a weapon--just like a ranged attack isn't a melee attack, even if the weapon you use can double as both (e.g. dagger, handaxe, throwing hammer).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This isn't a case of ambiguity. This is a case of you not reading or understanding clear rules.

Dude, apparently, it was also case of you forgetting the civility rules. Your tone was uncalled for. This is a place where people come to get answers and clarifications. Occasionally they'll not fully understand what they're talking about - that's kind of the point.

Please treat everyone here respectfully.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads