• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RAW? What is this

Acid_crash

First Post
I'm not understanding what RAW pertains to in the other threads so I'm just up and asking what this means?

Please enlighten me so I can understand what some of you are talking about on here.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is an unfortunately ugly acronym. For most (but not all) uses, "Core rules" means the same thing, and sounds more pleasing to the (mind's) ear.

arscott

First Post
Core Rules doesn't always mean the same thing. Some folks use the terms interchangibly, but depending on context and who you ask it can refer to:

Rules from the PHB, DMG, and MM only
Rules from Wizards of the Coast
Rules from any book, rather than House Rules
Rules, as opposed to Handwaving, DM Fiat, and "it just makes sense this way"

(obviously this list is geared towards D&D specifically. substitute other books and companies for different games.)

arscott said:
Core Rules doesn't always mean the same thing. Some folks use the terms interchangibly, but depending on context and who you ask it can refer to:

(obviously this list is geared towards D&D specifically. substitute other books and companies for different games.)
Actually, it does always mean the same thing: rules from the PHB, DMG, and MM only. It's not a matter of interpretation; anyone using the term otherwise is wrong. In fact, take a look at the cover of your PHB, DMG, or MM: the word 'Core' is right there.

Agback

Explorer
Ulorian said:
Actually, it does always mean the same thing: rules from the PHB, DMG, and MM only. It's not a matter of interpretation; anyone using the term otherwise is wrong. In fact, take a look at the cover of your PHB, DMG, or MM: the word 'Core' is right there.

Yeah, but 'rules as written' is not.

The way I take it, it would be possible to ask about a spell or PrC in a supplement "Can it do X according to the RAW". 'RAW' doesn't specify which rules it refers to , but it definitely excludes clarifications, sage advices, house rules, DM fiat, Rule Zero, arguments from analogy to other rules, arguments from common sense or world logic, and anything else that is not rules.

Squire James

First Post
Ah, yes, the Rules As Written. A cute idea, to try to run a game like this, but not viable in the long run because it encourages rules-lawyering (the good sort and the bad sort).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ulorian said:
Actually. . .

this:
arscott said:

is 100% true. I think it's pretty comprehensive, too. :)

diaglo

Adventurer
rules as written.

it is a short hand way of trying to keep things tight when discussing things over and over again.

like BBEG - Big, bad, evil guy
or D&D - Dungeons & Dragons

but then you get as arscott pointed out.. a kind of mixture of how people think of what to include.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aus_Snow said:
is 100% true. I think it's pretty comprehensive, too. :)

No, I'm sorry, it isn't. WotC clearly states which books are core and which are not, right on their covers - "Core Rulebook I" (or II, or III). If it doesn't say "Core" it isn't core. Period.

"Rules As Written" can cover just about any published rules, including books froom third party publishers. Anything written can be thought of as RAW. Being so much more broad, I personally find RAW to be a much less useful term than Core.

Remove ads