• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ray of Frost and Cloud of Daggers; Red Headed Stepchildren of Wizard At-Wills?

Zelc

First Post
I think there is only 1 power that has an ally making an extra ranged basic attack, and it's a high level Warlord daily power where this effect takes place only on a miss. Perhaps we'll have to wait for the next set of splatbooks before Magic Missiles and Eldritch Blast become more useful.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Victim said:
I don't see anything in the descriptions of Slow or Shift to indicate that slow prevents a shift.

Ya, if slow prevented shifting kobolds would be much easy to take care of. As such I do like it, our wizard used it to great effect especially to keep runners from getting away to warn their allies. And that it is against fort is very nice as well.

FadedC

First Post
Zelc said:
I think there is only 1 power that has an ally making an extra ranged basic attack, and it's a high level Warlord daily power where this effect takes place only on a miss. Perhaps we'll have to wait for the next set of splatbooks before Magic Missiles and Eldritch Blast become more useful.

On the other hand, bracers of the perfect shot are a fairly cheap magic item which give +2 damage to all your basic ranged attacks (and +4-+6 at higher levels but that's much less cheap). This can give your magic missile and eldritch blast a nice boost).

Tony Vargas

Legend
As a Warlord, I'll be advising the Wizard in my party to take Magic Missle and Thunderwave. But Could of Daggers and Ray of Frost both have potential, too. Blocking a single square matters if you stack it next to the party defenders or an already constricted area (a doorway, corridor, or another hazard), slow can be a very helpful effect against skirmishers.

Having a basic attack that uses your best stat is a good idea, if you can swing it, so Magic Missle and Eldritch Blast definitely have thier advantages. Ironically, if your Wizard gets dominated, not having Magic Missle would be a plus for your party, though.

Victim

First Post
Zelc said:

Not really. Stir the Hornet's Nest is unique (for now) because it specifies ranged basic attack, but Warlords have a number of powers that grant basic attacks - so they can work with either melee or range.

Surprise Attack 7E
Warlord's Gambit 15D
Hail of Steel 17E
Victory Surge 19D
Relentless Assault 25D
Stir the Hornet's Nest 25D

Victory Surge and Relentless Assault especially can grant a lot of basic attacks over an encounter.

Still, you can just retrain for magic missile if you have a warlord picking up these powers.

2eBladeSinger

First Post
We started KotS last night. Sorching Burst was probably the days winner. However, Ray of Frost came in a close second as the Wizard was able to slow the Dragon Shields, Skirmishers and keep from getting into melee or flanking the Warlord.

mlund

First Post
Scorching Burst is probably the most solid option in the whole roster as you can hit multiple opponents without having to expose yourself like Thunderwave requires. The only down side I see to it is the relatively high rate of fire resistance in the Monster Manual.

If you've got 14 or more Wisdom, your Cloud of Daggers is always superior to your Magic Missile in terms of damage.

Honestly, I'd always be inclined to play a Human Wizard over any other race, just for the 3rd At-Will power from the list. Ideally I'd run with Scorching Burst, Cloud of Daggers, and either Ray of Frost or Thunderwave depending on how my companions operate.

18 Intelligence, 14 Wisdom, and the Orb focus seem like the way to go - at least on the early levels.

- Marty Lund

Khaim

First Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say all the wizard's at-wills are useful. I'm not sure I can say the same about all the other classes, or even most of them. (Careful Strike, anyone?)

Magic Missile: Range 20, and decent damage. Still might be the weakest, as it's "just" damage; you have strikers for that.
Ray of Frost: Slow, and it's vs Fort. Slow is good.
Scorching Burst: Sure, Cloud of Daggers auto-kills a minion. This kills all the minions. Unlimited ranged AoE is nice.
Thunderwave: Close AoE is nice too, since it doesn't provoke. You don't have to shift away as a wizard; just push them and run. (Well, walk quickly.)
Cloud of Daggers: Honestly, I also think this one is weak. Sure, it does nice damage, some of it automatically... But one square is awfully small, and if you really need to block up space you probably have a red or black with a much larger area and a better effect. A few points of damage isn't much of a deterrent.

Remove ads