• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ray spells - where are they?

Oghma

First Post
I'm trying to create a ray-using sorceror, and have ran across an odd stumbling block - there are very few ray spells!

0th level - Ray of frost
1st level - Ray of Enfeeblement
2nd level - Scorching Ray
3rd level - Ray of Exhaustion
7th level - Prismatic Spray?
8th level - Polar Ray

Where are all the rays? Dragon Annual 5 has an article on rays that I don't have access to, but really - why aren' t there more ray spells, or am I missing something. I don't want to have to meta-magic ray spells with a sorceror just to fill out my spell list.

the Jester

Legend
See if your dm will allow you to make new ray spells for your new spells known.

Also, you left out disintegrate.

Here are a couple of mine- vampiric ray, ray of melting and puncture.

PUNCTURE
Transmutation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (400’+40’/level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

This powerful spell blasts a small hole, about 2” in diameter, in anything it hits. The power of this puncture is such that the rest of the object or creature is often shattered as well; regardless of the saving throw the target suffers 6d12 damage. An object that fails its saving throw is shattered into pieces and all parts of the object within 1’/level of the targeted area is destroyed. A creature that fails its saving throw must roll on the following chart to determine the exact effects:

01-20-- Random arm blown off
21-40-- Random leg blown off
41-50-- Head shot! Knocked unconscious, lose 1d6 each permanent Int and Wis; 50% chance to lose an eye
51-60-- Neck: head blown off, killed
61-80-- Torso: stunned 3d10 round
81-00-- Torso: internal damage is extensive, permanent loss of 1d6 Con.

Casting this spell is so taxing that you immediately suffer 3d4 points of subdual damage.

RAY OF MELTING
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Range: Medium (100’+10’/level)
Target: 1 metal object, up to 5 lbs/level
Saving Throw: Fort partial (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

A ruby-red ray shoots from your finger at any single metal object. Unless is makes its saving throw, it melts into goo. Even if it does make its save the object suffers 2d8 hp of damage, which may be enough to destroy it (ignore hardness). Against metal creatures a ray of melting deals 1d8/level points of damage (even to those with magic immunity, such as iron golems, maximum of 10d8 points). Constructs that are hit by the ray receive no saving throw.

VAMPIRIC RAY
Necromancy
Level: Parasite 1, sor/wiz 2
Range: Close (25’+5’/2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A grey beam shoots from your outstretched palm. If it hits, the victim suffers 1d4+1/level (maximum +5) points of damage and you gain an equal amount of temporary hit points.

Scion

First Post
aww.. someone already mentioned disentegrate :( Now all I have is dimensional anchor ;)

Any chance you could be a wilder and go for ray stuff. It would probably be more along the line you are going for. Energy ray can be augmented to just about any level you want without the need for metapsionics, crystal shard will allow you to penetrate SR whenever it is a bit too high, and on.. If that is an option then it could be a good one.

Oghma

First Post
Oooo!

I have a list from the Dragon Annual 5:

Ray of Clumsiness
Ray of Flame
Ray of Light
Stun Ray
Trageting Ray
Distracting Ray
Ray of Dizziness
Ray of Sickness
Ray of Ice
Ray of Stupidity
Rust Ray
Sting Ray
Ray of Weakness
Ray of Deanimation
Ray of Entropy

'Course, now I don't know what they are. :\

Thanks for the Enervation, Dimensional Anchor, and Disintegrate. That brings us to:

0th level - Ray of frost
4th level - Enervation, Dimensional Anchor
5th level - Disintegrate
7th level - Prismatic Spray?
8th level - Polar Ray

Still not a huge list :( . It also look like Spell Focus as a feat won't help much, as it's spread across Evocation, Abjuration, Necromancy, and Transmutation. Feh.

No psionics. New spells, sure. That's part of my research today - what's out there. I want to not be stuck with the whole "Scorching ray - Freezing Ray - Sonic ray - Acid ray - Lightning ray" suite of spells, all 2nd level doing essentially the same thing.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
0th level - Ray of frost, Disrupt Undead
5th level -
6th level - Disintegrate
7th level -
8th level - Polar Ray
9th level -

Oghma

First Post
Energy Drain functions as Enervation.

Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Ray), and Improved Critical (Ray) all sound like good feats.

Getting sneak attack damage dice would help too, thought that gets in the way of more spells.

Any other strategies?

0th level - Ray of frost, Disrupt Undead
5th level -
6th level - Disintegrate
7th level -
8th level - Polar Ray
9th level - Energy Drain

Last edited: