• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RBDM - How?

Rechan

Adventurer
I was reading this thread and I said to myself, "Wow! I wish I could do that!"

How does one become a Rat Bastard DM? What are the first steps to sticking it to the characters?

What I am not asking: How to turn it into Me vs Players. Combat tips. Being abusive to my players.

Nope - I just want tips on hiow to structure the story, how to create situations where the you get that priceless expression on the PCs faces. This is especially so if it's for say, situations that do not take several months to yeras before they come to fruition.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Misdirection helps. Let the players feel like they have the upper hand, and then show powerfully that they don't.

For example, in my Paridon campaign, the PCs captured a combatant with a muffling mask that was locked in place. Taken to the cells of the police station, the combatant was chained to the wall, and the PCs were ready to interrogate him. They found his key.

Then things changed.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Rechan said:
How does one become a Rat Bastard DM?

Well, a lot of RBDMs are (in my experience) just generally rat bastards in general. I'm not sure that one can actually learn that level of callous disregard for others. I think it is a function of nature, not learned behavior.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I think the most important ingredient are invested players who understand and enjoy the kind of fun "dramatic inconvenience" can be (or is that "conveniently dramatic"?).

Rechan

Adventurer
el-remmen said:
I think the most important ingredient are invested players who understand and enjoy the kind of fun "dramatic inconvenience" can be (or is that "conveniently dramatic"?).
That is important, but this thread is more "How do I, the DM, come up with and implement them"?

Numion

First Post
Rechan said:
That is important, but this thread is more "How do I, the DM, come up with and implement them"?

One good sticking point is consequences. Keep track of all the people and creatures the PCs have wronged. In a usual D&D campaign that list is going to grow quite quickly. Once you have some NPCs that have an axe to grind with the PCs, think what they have been up to since the PCs have been adventuring:

1) Gaining power
2) Gathering intel on the PCs
3) Working against them behind scenes (spreading misinformation, causing trouble for PCs associates)
4) Planning a strike against the PCs
5) etc..

When you've got that sort of things sorted out, it's time to put the plans in motion. While being a RBDM, keep the NPCs knowledge separate from yours, to shield against accusations from players. When the time is right, screw the PCs over with grudge-bearing NPC.

If the PCs are very powerful, have the NPCs screw them indirectly, by attacking their associates and resources or from the protection of legitimate office or high social standing.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
InVinoVeritas said:
Misdirection helps. Let the players feel like they have the upper hand, and then show powerfully that they don't.

Misdirection isn't necessary. merely allow the players to continue on false lines of reasoning when they inevitably do so. Don't throw giant neon signs at them telling them they are going the wrong way or barking up the wrong tree. The looks ona group of players faces when they were all geared up to fight a lich and it turns out to be a priest of Orcus, for example, is simply amazing.

Also, do not populate the world with level appropriate challenges -- populate it as it would "realistically" be populated. Just because the party is 5th level doesn't mean there is not a great wyrm black dragon in the swamps or that the door with all the corpses stacked up in front of it doesn't contain a banshee (the nasty MMII variety). Nothing kills players as effectively as players do, especially when they assume that "if the DM put it here, we must be able to kill it."

It is important to note, though, that bRBDMing requires a group that enjoys the challenge inherent in playing in a game of that sort. Players that don't will call you names, stomp out in the middle of a session or otherwise respond in a negative way.

ruleslawyer

IMO, one of the critical elements to being an RBDM is being a rat bastard within the social contract of the game. It's easy enough to spring unwinnable encounters on the party, or exploit DM knowledge regarding PC abilities, or anything else that involves "breaking the rules." The more interesting approach is to be as mean as possible within the confines of the expected social relationship.

My #1 RBDM rule is this: Players are the party's worst enemy. The chief element of being an RBDM is mercilessly exploiting the players' weaknesses, whether they be arrogance, greed, selfishness, aggressiveness, carelessness, or so on. So, the overenthusiastic player's character can find himself in a sticky situation of his own making by, say, going off to explore solo; the aggressive player can find out that the merchants' guild he's bullying happens to have hired the greatest mercenary swordsman in the land to drive out this miscreant; and so on. Not the greatest examples, but you get the idea. Pandering to greed is always easy, what with trapped treasure and all, but how about just a treasure that already has a few claimants?
Anything is possible.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
There are two aspects to being a Rat Bastard DM. A plot aspect and a tactical aspect. Both are important. But the basic philosophy for both is the same. You have to let the players get themselves into a situation that gets much worse than they expected, and you have to do so in a plausible manner.

The tactical side is easy. Anyone can put together a decently challenging fight, just pick the right monster and run it. But being a tactically capable rat bastard requires more than just picking the right monster, and inflicting damage. You have to be able to run a fight where the players get the sense that they cannot win, despite it being a completely fair fight. That means no min maxing the tactics to the players in advance, and no pulling things out of your arse just to make the fight harder if it turns out to be a bit too easy. What it does mean is using very smart tactics. Here is an example:

- If you have a villain with Improved Disarm, than have some of the cannon fodder delay their action until after the villain. If a Disarm succeeds, have the fodder type pick up the disarmed weapon and then run. This qualifies as being somewhat Rat Bastardly because instead of just being mildly inconvenient, it is suddenly very dangerous. If you had a Fighter who had heavily specialized in the weapon, and it was say, a +2 sword, you just inflicted a net -3 to hit and -5 to damage since that fighter can no longer get the benefit of the weapon enchantments or his Weapon specific feats. It is also fair simply because it just a good idea, and unlike sunder, the player still has a chance to get the weapon back. Bonus points if you hand the weapon to the villain and he drops the player with his own weapon.

- Using Bull Rush with a troll at the top of a cliff is a pretty good RBDM tactic. The troll will regenerate from the falling damage. The player will not. The troll has a huge bonus to the Bull rush due to size and a very nice strength bonus. The player is now also probably on his own against a troll with no help nearby.

- Min Maxing your tactics to your players is not a good plan. Unless you can justify it fairly. When using organized opposition, I will often make a point of having some opponents flee. It lets you skip the mop up part of combat, and the players still win. But if they let enough opponents survive and report back, the survivors get to report to their superiors what the players look like, and what they did to wipe out their opponents. Then when you pull an ambush that starts with dropping a Silence spell next to the casters and nailing the fighters with some spells calling for Will Saves, it is not cheating.

Plot wise it is a bit harder to pull off, but not by a whole lot. The trick to being a good Rat Bastard DM in this regard are the following.

- Always give the players a choice. This is the most important thing to do. But I am not talking about a "Keep the money or return the money" kind of choice, where the 'right' choice is obvious. You need to present your players with choices where all presented options simply suck. So what I am talking about here is a "Help an old enemy escape or allow a new and dangerous villain to succeed in his plan" kind of choice. Or "Protect the corrupt king or kill him and become fugitives". If they can find an actual good option, let them run with it though.

- Give the players enough rope to hang themselves. Once the players make a choice that can harm them, then use it against them at some point in the near future. It can be an option you prepared, or just a stunningly bad idea they came up with all on their own.

- Not exactly required, but a mastery of the Xanatos Gambit can't hurt either. [LINK]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit[/LINK]

One last thing though. You absolutely MUST be willing to let your players lose. Do not get DM vs player about it, but your Villains and even your monsters must be played as though they are trying to win. In combat, this means you should not fudge rolls for the players to let them survive a close combat. This means willing to run fights the players must run away from, and while you must make it obvious and give them that chance, you must also be willing to pull a TPK to make the point. This also applies to plot. If the players screw up, then they should have to earn 2nd chances to make it right, and you must be prepared to carry things out to the logical conclusion if they fail.

Being an effective RBDM is difficult, because you must run right up to the line between providing entertaining and challenging adversaries, and being a cruel and petty ass. They say that a Perfect Crime is when someone does something that they should be arrested for, but they manage to do it without breaking any laws. Being an RBDM is very much like that. You have to do the meanest and cruelest things you can to your players without giving them any reason to be pissed off at you personally. If you can pull it off, your players will be grateful, though if you are doing it right, they wont exactly thank you.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads