• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RE: Barbarian's HP in Rage

Skead

First Post
RE: Barbarian's HP in Rage

Wait, so if i read this correctly...

2 HP per level...
so at level 4, a barbarian will have 8 temp life which they have to use at the END of their life?

Does this seem weak to anyone else? Or am I missing something...

irdeggman

First Post
"End of life"?

Regardless it is not weak - because the barbarian also gets a +2 to attack and damage rolls with a melee weapon.

Using a two handed weapon gives 1 1/2 times the str mod to damage.

Apply power attack for a 2 to 1 increase in damage with a two handed weapon and you will see how truely powerful this ability can be. Power attack gives a 1 for 1 trade off of BAB for damage increase. But for a two handed weapon this is a 2 for damage benefit. And since the barbarians attack bonus has increased by 2 due to his rage he makes up for the loss of his BAB in the process.

Bottom line - barbarians need to use two handed weapons and power attack while raging to get the biggest bang for the buck, and then they are truely impressive.

javcs

First Post
Not temp HP. Normal HP.

So, for example, a 4th level barbarian with a 16 Constitution normally, with 43 HP normally, when raging will have 55 hp.

Suppose he takes 10 damage while raging (45 HP in rage) - post-rage, he has 33 HP. If he had taken 44 damage while raging (11 HP in rage), at the end of his rage, he would drop to -1 HP and dying.

On it's own, yes, that's rather weak.

However, do note that the barbarian also gains +4 Strength while raging as well - which, with a 2-handed weapon, equates into +2 attack, and +3 damage, and he can power attack for a lower penalty.
He also gets a +2 morale bonus on his Will saves for the duration of his rage.

glass

(he, him)
Barbarians get the full beniefits of their increased Str and Con, which does indeed include 2 hp per level. Note that these are not temporary hp and are not lost first; you can kill youself by coming out of rage while at low hp.

That said, I vaguely recall a variant somewhere that does give temporary hp. Are you asking about a variant or the core barbarian in the PHB?

glass.

werk

First Post
I think he's asking how to handle the hitpoints?

When the rage ends the barbar's con reduces back down and he loses those HP...which could be argued as kinda sucky.
They are not extra or bonus they are temporary, so if he is ending rage at 2hp, he'll go unconcious.

I think...

EDIT: wow, 3 posts in one minute.

Pinotage

Explorer
Skead said:
Does this seem weak to anyone else? Or am I missing something...

One of the very important things that rage provides in addition to battle prowess and hp, is an extremely useful +2 Will save. There's nothing worse than having a dominated barbarian or charmed barbarian or one that continually fails Will saves. That +2 can be a lifesaver.

Of course, with a barbarian in the party, having a druid in the party is also useful. Particular one that can cast Blood Frenzy (2nd level spell) that puts you into a rage, which means you can't run out of rages as long as the druid has that spell prepared.

Pinotage

Skead

First Post
Ok, they do more damage, but wouldn't other classes excel at that more so? i.e. fighter or rogue etc? I mean i thought barbarians were the type who could rage run in without caring much, but it just seems to delay the effect. If it was Temp hit points first, that'd be worth it...

am i wrong?

shilsen

Adventurer
Skead said:
Ok, they do more damage, but wouldn't other classes excel at that more so? i.e. fighter or rogue etc? I mean i thought barbarians were the type who could rage run in without caring much, but it just seems to delay the effect. If it was Temp hit points first, that'd be worth it...

am i wrong?
Yes, you are. The extra hit points mean you can stay on your feet longer and hence cause more damage. It may make the difference between some ally being able to heal you and being dead. The barbarian's definitely not the strongest class in the PHB, but it's damn good at taking damage and dealing out damage, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

Aidan Milvus

First Post
It's the same as if you had a Bear's Endurance cast on you. Sure you get extra hit points, but you know you'll be losing the same amount when the time runs out.

Plus, with Rage being a free action, the extra buff is very nice for those hard fights.
Of course, when it runs out and you're in a really long fight, it can be a pain...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads