• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Re-booting D&D with a new edition - how necessary is it?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Constant re-invention only erodes your base over time.

Tell that to Shakespeare and Madonna :)

If your base erodes with time anyway (say, as your gamers age, have kids, and so on), then re-invention doesn't cause much damage.

In the end, I think D&D has hobbled itself with the mandate of "print or die"; if less pressure was on putting out a constant stream of new (or reprinted) material, the game would steady and grow at a slow, steady rate instead of the expected exponential rate WotC is, I think, hoping for. The problem is that if the money intake slows from what WotC/Hasbro is used to, the game is likely to be canned for "not generating a profit".

This, when profits for IPs matter more than understanding the nature of a given medium and what "good" actually is relative to media type. A TTRPG can be doing great but it might look like small fries next to a popular CCG or MMO. If all that matters is IP--------Profits, then underperformers will always be TTRPGs in these situations. The answer: take the IP and turn it into whatever it needs to become to stay viable. Good for the IP-yup, good for the medium- not so much.

This folks is why the industry is NOT the same as the hobby and why slavishly supporting one doesn't mean you are doing the other any favors.

Jor-El

First Post

If your base erodes with time anyway (say, as your gamers age, have kids, and so on), then re-invention doesn't cause much damage.

But we're talking about a niche market. Not Shakesspeare or Madonna.

However, if the re-invention occurs faster than those gamers are aging, and having kids....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But we're talking about a niche market. Not Shakesspeare or Madonna.

What percentage of the population has seen Shakespeare performed more than once? Traditionally, classical stuff counts as "niche".
However, if the re-invention occurs faster than those gamers are aging, and having kids....

To date, reinvention (edition change) has been on the order of a decade - about the same timescale as aging and having kids.

I'm not talking output of books here, I'm talking growth of the # of gamers, and I do believe WotC is hoping for exponential growth

Yes, and I'm hoping for a million dollars, a pony, and a castle in Wales. Doesn't mean I think I'll actually get it.

Realistic business models don't plan for exponential growth except in the short term. In the long term, it isn't sustainable.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️

Very different things we're talking about here. Re-invention in performance art can expand and show your range as an experienced performer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (ask REM if the musical direction they went in after Bill Berry left the band worked well for their popularity).

But this is an industry where, as other posters in other threads have argued, the previous product doesn't become obsolete or invalid and requies a significant investment to get returns. An RPG is not cosigned just to memory as past performances as Shakespeare's plays were in his day. It's not as simple to access as tossing a variety of David Bowie CDs in the CD player to listen to Ziggy Stardust or the Thin White Duke in succession or on shuffle.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'm not talking output of books here, I'm talking growth of the # of gamers, and I do believe WotC is hoping for exponential growth
I'm sure they would lile exponential growth but its a pretty mature market. I do not see it as a real likelyhood. Where would all these extra gamers come from?

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
I disagree that "The base" erodes with time, to some extent that is true, but with everything there will always be a loyal, if small, group of people that will continue to support the product.

Now, if you're looking for a wide or large group of people in order to make profit, then it becomes a bad thing. But that's the key, is if all you're doing to publish the game is for profit and not because you love it and support it, then you 't have to worry about profit decay.

That's really is what the issue here is. The only reason to worry about publish or die.

If you don't care about profit, you really don't have to worry about the "decay" and you certainly don't have to worry about producing the product for a large group of people and pleasing a large group of people.

They're already pleased and will continue to support the product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads