Re-joining an old campaign, 8th level, Paladin of Conquest

As the title says, looking to build a Paladin of Conquest. Seems like a really fun way to play a more tactically taxing Paladin, and I can do a lot with the concept story-wise. Plus its been years since I've tried playing an evil character and I want to give it a go again.

Thinking Variant human for the feat, but since I'm coming in so late I wonder how necessary that is. Also thinking 1 level of Archfey Warlock for Eldritch Blast, 1/short rest aoe fear and a rechargeable spell slot. I know hexblade is better but this DM bans Hexblade multiclass for being overpowered. So now the questions are, do I play a different race? What feats/ASIs should I prioritize? Will I be fine going sword and board or do I need to go polearm? Which fighting style?

Appareciate the help friends!

Gavin O.

First Post
For Paladin of conquest specifically, I think Sword and Board is better than polearm, for the reason that you have access to Spiritual Weapon, a level 2 spell that gives you a free bonus action attack every turn for 10 minutes. While Variant Human is a strong option, I think Half-elf and Warforged Envoy both deserve consideration.

I would recommend sticking with straight Paladin until level 11 to get level 3 spells (notably Fear, which offers great synergy with Aura of Conquest) and Improved Divine Smite. After that, you can branch into Warlock (by this point Eldritch Blast has scaled again), though staying Paladin is another option.

If you plan to go Variant Human, I would take War Caster as my feat and two strength bonuses from ASIs (Or dex bonuses if you plan to use Dex to attack). If not, I'd leave Warcaster for later and rush my attacking stat to 20.

If your DM bans Hexblade I would just skip out on Warlock MC altogether.

Variant Human is always good because of the extra feat. Or if you want more frightening powers you can be a Dragonborn w/ Dragonfear feat or a Fallen Aasimar.

Conquest really wants to maximize CHA as soon as possible to inflict frightening most reliably. You definitely still want to start with a good STR, but maxing CHA is the higher priority. Resilient (CON) is always a good feat, and will help you keep concentration when you maintain your staple spells used to frighten things (e.g. Wrathful Smite, Fear).

Sword and board (with either Dueling or Defense style) is best for Conquest overall. That +2 AC is great when you're maintaining control over a frightened enemy. Polearm (with Defense style) is awesome against enemies with 5-foot reach trapped in your aura, but starting at 8th-level, you're probably already fighting more and more things with longer melee reach than 5 feet.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I don't think a single level of hexblade is nearly as good as people make it out to be, at least before level 12, and other warlocks are less impressive on a single level dip. 1 extra spell slot per short rest is pretty meh compared to the extra 1/2 of a 1st level smite on every attack you get at level 11 that you're pushing back by a level.

The best Paladin/Warlock MC builds by far are those that actually go deep into Warlock. As in, at least 7 levels of Warlock for 4th-level slots (maximum Divine Smite). Unfortunately those builds take quite a while to mature.

CTurbo

Explorer
Starting level 8? I think Half-Elf is superior to Vhuman starting that high. Getting a "free" feat at level 1 is much less important when you're starting at level 8.

But anyway, I'd go Fallen Aasimar all the way. Either start 16 Str, 14 Con, 16 Cha, or start 17 Cha and take the Menacing feat which would bump it up to 18. Either way I want at least 18 Cha to start.

I wouldn't build a Conquest to be a huge DPR guy. I'd build it as more of a control leader type character. Sword and Board, maybe Shield Master and Inspiring Leader. Bash them down with your shield and scare them and they CAN'T even get up lol. Carry a whip just for demoralizing purposes.

Menacing is still playtest material, though, so don't count on it being available in your campaign. If it was official in its current form it'd be absolutely essential for Conquest.

Getting a "free" feat at level 1 is much less important when you're starting at level 8.
I can't agree with this. A feat ahead is a feat ahead, whether Lv. 1 or 8 or 20.

EDIT: I like to think of it in terms of a comparison at Lv. 4, between a Variant Human who takes a +2 to his preferred stat at Lv. 4, vs. a Half-Elf who takes a feat at Lv. 4.

It effectively ends up like this:
V-Human: +3 main stat, +1 secondary stat, 1 feat
Half-Elf: +2 CHA, +1 attack stat, +1 tertiary stat, 1 feat

Same net number of stat bonuses, same number of feats, but the V-Human has its bonuses where it really wants them the most.

Last edited:

Remove ads