Re-recruiting for d20 Apocalypse game, now in progress

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Due in part to an unintended and unexpected absence I had to take from my posting on these forums related to a family crisis, my d20 Apocalypse game has slowed down somewhat and I only have two fairly active players (from an original seven). I have a really great story to tell and the campaign hasn't been going on for longer than a few months. I'd like to revitalize it with some new blood.

Quick background on the story: It is day 1 of the beginning of the end. The year is 2020 and a nuclear attack upon northern Illinois (and possibly beyond) has left Chicago and nearby cities in ashes. The heroes are presently traveling south in an attempt to escape the fallout of the explosions, hoping that soon they will find some respite.

Character creation rules are fairly lax. Use standard point buy for creation and choose your own level (up to 10) and classes, provided they exist within the confines of the d20 Modern system. Lower level characters will level more quickly as they are younger and better able to adapt to a changing landscape. Higher level characters have the advantage of experience (although no one has truly experienced the end of the world). Your character's only gear are the things someone with your character's profession would normally carry around, though bear in mind possession of electronics in the aftermath of a massive EMP are fairly useless. Such things will have to be scavenged from sites unaffected by The Bomb.

Psionics are allowed if you choose to play a child at level 1 (as only children are psi-sensitive in my milieu), however characters of any age may develop psionics as the campaign progresses (something about The Bomb has awakened latent psionic potential in some). The campaign has an immediate post-apocalyptic feel to it with a number of elements of science fiction thrown in.

New characters will be introduced as individuals fleeing ground zero along the same route as our present heroes.

ethandrew

First Post
Uhh, dibs? Color me interested. I'll peruse your original recruitment threads and see if I can't figure something I'd like to play.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
My two active players are Voda Vosa and ThWatcher. Voda Vosa is playing Francisco, a smart hero with some mechanic abilities. ThWatcher is playing Janice, a child psychic. You can look at their characters in the Rogue's Gallery in my sig.

ethandrew

First Post
Here's what I've got so far:

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Elway Cooper
[B]Class:[/B] Fast
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male

[B]Str:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 2        [B]XP:[/B] 1001
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +1         [B]HP:[/B] 14 (2d8+02)
[B]Con:[/B] 13 +1 (05p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +2     
[B]Int:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 35'      
[B]Wis:[/B] 08 -1 (00p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +3        
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0 (02p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -0         

[B]Base  Equip Def   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Defense:[/B]           10    +4    +3    +0    +0   +0    +0    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 17              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      0    +1          +1
[B]Ref:[/B]                       2    +3          +5
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    -1          -1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Fist                      +1     1d3+1      Non-Lethal

[B]Languages:[/B] English, French

[B]Abilities:[/B] Increased Speed

[B]Feats:[/B] Dodge, Personal Firearms Proficiency

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 30       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 5/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Balance                    5    +3          +8
Drive                      5    +3          +8
Hide                       5    +3          +8
Move Silently              5    +3          +8
Sleight of Hand            5    +3          +8
Tumble                     5    +3          +8

[B]Equipment:               Weight[/B]
Clothes                    2lb
Cell Phone                 N/A

[B]Total Weight:[/B]02lb      [B]Money:[/B] $17

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy   Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               043   086   130   260   650

[B]Age:[/B] 22
[B]Height:[/B] 5'11"
[B]Weight:[/B] 160lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Brown
[B]Skin:[/B] Fair
Appearance: Elway isn't an unattractive man, but neither is he double-take worthy. He's slender, with a weak jaw, but a pleasant smile and bright blue eyes. His pale skin doesn't tan per se, merely getting a bevy of sunspots among his skin, his down brown curly hair he keeps cut short.

Background: Born February 1st, 1999, in Denver, Colorado, the day after the Broncos won the Super Bowl, Elway had a typical middle-class upbringing. The summers and weekends were spent hiking, exploring the Rockies, hunting, fishing, just in general being outdoors. He excelled in highschool track and field, possessing a good burst of speed and a decent degree of stamina. He placed in state as a senior in high school in both the 110-meter high-hurdles and the 400-meter intermediate hurdles. He received a partial scholarship to run track for the University of Chicago, taking our sizable loans to fill in the rest of the missing money. He didn't have many possessions, just enough in his dormatory to make living life comfortable. He would spend the majority of his nights staying over at his long-term girlfriend's apartment in Evanston, where she went to Northwestern.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Nice job, ethandrew. Elway will add some great skills to the party. The only thing I noticed you missed was an occupation. These can be found on page 32 of d20 modern. Might I suggest Athlete, based on his background. Also you can feel free to embellish on the background. You are a hero after all. Being the track and field star for the University of Chicago with a full scholarship and perhaps a competitor in the 2020 or 2016 Olympic games would be well in line with your abilities.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'll be giving Elway an introduction in a post later today. Assume he made it out of Chicago by whatever means you deem appropriate and was on the edge of the blast radius when it happened. He has since come to a shelter in Manteno.

Graybeard

Explorer
Sounds interesting. I've never played a D20 Modern game before (not for lack of interest though, just a lack of interest from my gaming group). I'll see what I can come up with in the next day or so.

fireinthedust

Explorer
have you seen the show "The Colony"? It's so on-topic for this it's scary.

Where is the in-character thread? I'm interested in play style, and knowing what large-scale events have happened that all characters (new, old, npc) would be aware of.

You like Rifts. Have you read Rifts: Chaos Earth? Or is this disaster entirely different in appearance (if not cause)?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The IC thread is linked in my signature. Not a whole lot has happened. Only one day's worth of activity. The characters escaped from the blast area of Chicago and headed south in search of shelter. They are currently headed into Manteno after their vehicle broke down in search of supplies. They also have had a couple of unusual encounters. One with a strange creature in an auto shop, another with a potential dimensional flux (they found themselves on an alien landscape for a few moments before being transported back).

I love Rifts, but this is a little bit different from Chaos Earth. I can't say it's wholly uninspired by Rifts though. Rifts was my first RPG and I will always have a special place in my heart for it.

Remove ads