• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

re regenerating demons and the portable hole

Dugite

First Post
Hmmm this was a bit tricky for me .
A player put a sizeable chunk of a regenerating demon in his portable hole, for magical reasearch etc.
Few questions really.
Does it regenerate inside the said hole?
If it does when you open the hole can it get itself out?
Or alternatively can it reach from inside and pull the unfortunate player back inside with it?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Is it the creature in the bag or cast off tissue?

I think if you answer that question you have answered your other questions. I don't believe that lost tissue regrows into a new creature. So if it is not the creature in the bag the tissue would not regenerate. So it could not get out or pull the character in.

You could always rule that lost tissue grows into a new creature if you wanted to.

Dugite

First Post
Ahhh it was the largest remaing piece but not a whole demon.
As the player wanted as much as possible, for his arcane research.
Trolls can regenerate from small pieces, so is a demons regeneration much different?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I would say either chose to have the largest section or a specific part (maybe the heart or head) of the creature to count as being the creature for the purposes of regenerating a new body. AFAIK the rules don’t cover the dismemberment of regenerating creatures so this would be a DM's call.

FoxWander

Adventurer
The rules for the Special ability: Regeneration say that "severed
parts die if they are not reattached." So was the part thrown in the hole what you would consider a "part" or the body?

Although it might be fun to screw with the player and have the severed part mutate into some small demonling. Like the Tall Man's severed finger turned into that Fly from Hell in the movie Phantasm. I can see it now- he goes to the box or bag the part is in and its moving. When he's dumb enough to open it anyway, some "thing" jumps in his face!:eek: Classic! And hey- they're DEMON parts. You shouldn't be able to just toss it in storage to examine at your leisure. At least not without SOME kind of precautions.

Do demons breathe? If they do, you have to remember that there's a limited quantity of air in the portable hole, and when said air runs out, the demon dies. You don't regenerate suffocation damage...

TS

Skinwalker

First Post
So the next question would be (assuming it was a signifigant enough portion of the beast to regenerate), "Is it able to regenerate its wound damage faster than it accumulates suffocation damage?

As to whether you can open a Portable Hole from the inside, I would be inclined to say "Yes." If for no other reason, to avoid the abuse detailed below...

If not, that brings up a great way to kill a regenerating monster. Have one party member open a Portable Hole behind it, have another push the monster in (Ring of the Ram might be nice for this), have another close the Hole. Hey! It wouldn't even have to be a regenerating monster. Imagine how easily you could clear out a dungeon that way. Place hole, push monster(s) in, close hole, talk about the weather while monster slowly dies. You'd just have to pop out every once in a while to dump out corpses (and loot the bodies). Heh.

green slime

First Post
IMC, the monster would regenerate. If it required air, it would suffocate. IMC Demons, Devils, and Celestials do not require air to breathe, nor do they require food nor drink. They are immortal. You cannot starve one to death, nor can you suffocate one.

So yes, IMC, the character would have a very annoyed demon stuck in the bag.

NekoAli

First Post
I belive it's been stated by the Sage in one Dragon or another that when you cut a regenerating creature in half and keep them apart, eventually the larger part regrows and the smaller part dies off... So if you go that route, dropping the biggest leftover from the demon in the bag will get you a reborn demon eventually. (quite a shock when they open the bag next).

As a somewhat nasty alternative though... what if that's how some demons reproduce? Rip off an arm or whatever and let it grow into another demon in a day or two. Rather gruesome, but we are talking demons here. :) I doubt they would want to do it all that often, but if one could get into our plane unnoticed, you could wind up with an army of them in fairly short order...

As far as the Bag of Holding as a tool for getting rid of monsters... Kinda anti-heroic to stuff someone in and wait for them to suffocate to death, isn't it? Not to mention they would have over an hour to figure out a way out of it. And what happens when the next person you try that on is carrying a bag of holding or some such? "You bull rush the Ogre Mage, who staggers back a few feet, teeters on the edge of the hole, then slips in. As he passes the event horizion of the bag, there's suddenly a bright burst of pure white light, and you all feel a wrenching sensation as the two items react to each other, forming a dimensional wormhole. You are all pulled through it into... oh where's my Manual of the Planes?"

I'm not sure killing creatures by trapping them in a portable hole is a really viable option. First of all, it would take hours to kill off 1 creature (isn't a portable hole 10 ft³?). Secondly, said creature has hours to prepare for the next time the characters check up on it and open the hole again.

It COULD work, I'm just saying it just can't work well... Unless you keep a black pudding in there also :D

TS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads