• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Re-Thinking Dragons

Samloyal23

Adventurer
D&D dragons have started to bore me, I think the colour-coded thing just rubs me the wrong way.

So, for my new setting, I am working on some ideas to make them different...

Forest Dragons-- Live in the western areas of the Last Lands near Aldea and Ys, only dwell in thickly forested areas of old growth, smaller than most dragons but possessing druidical magic. They are adept at shape-changing, being able to use Wild Shape as a druid with their HD. Their scales resembles leaves from a distance, making them harder to spot among trees. They are fully amphibious and frequently live under ponds. Their breath is a venomous cloud of poison that can linger in the air around them.

Earth Dragons-- Subterranean beasts with six-legged bodies of stone, these enormous monsters live along ley lines, usually underneath mountains. They are known to cause earthquakes and some blame the the great Cataclyms on them. Their breath is a choking cloud of dust that petrifies those who inhale it and they have access to many elemental spells of Earth. They can merge with earth and stone to swim through it freely. They consume organic matter without discrimination along with rare gems and metals. Their claws and teeth are made of diamonds and their blood is molten lava.

Storm Dragons-- Huge grey and white, sessile beasts with two legs, vast wings and multiple heads, storm dragons are perpetually surrounded by mist that hides their forms. Their breath is a freezing tornado and their flesh is shot through with sparks of electricity. They dwell entirely in the sky, building lairs out of magical storms. Their floating, mountainous cloud lairs drift across the sky leaving behind floods, hail, and ruin.

Deep Dragons-- Vast aquatic monsters with long necks and finlike legs, they have rippling, gelatinous flesh that resembles that of a jelly fish, being translucent and glowing faintly from within. Their breath is a stream of dark water that chills the flesh and drains away the life energy of a victim. Two long tentacles sprout from their shoulders, each ending in a mass of stinging suckers.

Inferno Dragons-- Covered in scales made of obsidian with breath of clinging flame that sticks to its victims, the inferno dragon loves nothing more than starting fires. Living in volcanic caves, they come out to hunt and start conflagations, watching forests and cities burn with delight. Their flesh is searingly hot and they are continually wreathed in flames and smoke.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
So, I am going more for an environment niche and mixing things up. Some of these dragons have only two legs, some have no wings, et cetera. I am going more for a nature-based look. Thoughts?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Frost Dragons The ice to an inferno dragon's fire, the frost dragon has clear, bluish-white scales through which its rippling light blue muscles can be seen. It is shrouded in icy mist and its breath is snow and hail. Frost dragons live in the White Waste, an arctic realm far to the North, where they prey on men and trolls.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Swamp Dragons-- Two-legged kin to forest dragons dwelling in tropical regions, the swamp dragon has a noxious breath that spreads plague and causes nausea. They prefer their meat rancid, so their lairs are typically surrounded by rotting corpses. Swamp dragons are renowned as necromancers and often have zombies patrolling the bogs where they dwell. They are usually covered in moss and caked with mud, making them hard to spot in fenlands.

LandOfConfusion

First Post
I really like these dragons. For me I kinda also want all dragons to be legendary. Like Smaug. There really is no place for them in the ecology. You don't fight a "red dragon". You fight Smaug and there is no one like Smaug 'cept Smaug. Maybe a good balance is to not expressly define the dragons by species. When players come across a dragon they will just have no idea what to expect. Meaning they don't know the difference between a swamp, forest, or black dragon. Each one would be different and terrifying because of the unknown. You could make it where the dragon is affected by the land around and in return amplifies the nature of the land (pretty much how it's described in the Monster Manual). But, rather than saying a red dragon (or inferno dragon) prefers to live near volcanoes, you could say that records of dragons found near volcanoes showed the dragon displayed x, y, and z qualities. While others found near volcanoes might also have some similar, but a few different qualities. This would just play into the dragon as a legendary creature beyond classification.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Definately a Kaiju vibe from these. Storm reminded me immediately of King Ghidorah.

I think they sound like plot devices instead of things to kill and loot. Basically good for cut-scenes rather than combat encounters.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Killing a dragon should be a major story of a campaign, not just another event, and should have massive consequences for the entire campaign for years to come. The fight against Smaug had major political and economic effects on Middle Earth, it triggered a war and led to the destruction and rebuilding of an entire city. That is EPIC.

Also, yes, a dragon should be part of nature, an expression of the terrors of an untamed world. They are the living wrath of the land. I am thinking that they are spontaneously generated as spirits of the land, so they are made, not born...

Kavon

Explorer
I've done the same thing as you for my world—exactly the same categories, actually (though I also have a desert/drought/wind dragon opposing the ocean/water/deep dragon).
Besides the terrain dragons, I also have four other types that are a little more outside of the "here there be dragons" territory; light/life/day, dark/death/night, mist/shadow (think shadowfell/shadow plane), and fey/illusion (think feywild/faerie).

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I was thinking I need something for deserts/badlands. I have a small area that turns to desert in the summer, the rest of the Last Lands is fairly temperate. The main desert area of the continent sank beneath the sea centuries ago...

LandOfConfusion

First Post
I never suggested that fighting a dragon should be anything less than epic and campaign altering. I was just commenting that while I liked the new classifications as they are more interesting than simple colors it would be cool if there were no set classifications IMHO. Each dragon is essentially unique and the only information people have to go on is the apparent effects the dragon's environment has on it's appearance and abilities. Do you plan on having your party interact with more than one swamp dragon? How many times in a campaign should the players fight a dragon? Probably only once if you want it to have true meaning. So, why not just throw away ecological classifications for dragons all together? Don't have "swamp dragons", but create Draclyn Terror-Wrym of the Eastern Fens. To anyone's knowledge she is the only dragon of that type in the world and has the your abilities and appearance of your swamp dragon.

Remove ads