Reach, charge, and AoO

DanMcS

Explorer
You know, I thought I knew the answer to this one, but I was re-skimming the rules and managed to confuse myself. Googling produced no answer, but I'm sure you guys will know this right off.

Charge is marked as:AoO:No.
This bears the additional note, "1. Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity."

So, if I charge someone 50' away, the enemy standing right beside me where I started gets an AoO on me. Not because I charged -charging doesn't provoke, itself- but because I moved as part of the charge, and moving does.

If the target of my charge has longer reach than me, does he? I move into a square that he threatens, say at 10' from an ogre, and then move out of it, to a square 5' from him. We've been playing that ogre doesn't get an AoO, but now looking at it again, I think he does. Bleh.

Thanee

First Post
Yep. Movement provokes. Not performing a move action, but the movement itself, doesn't matter why you move.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads