• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach, charge, and AoO

DanMcS

Explorer
You know, I thought I knew the answer to this one, but I was re-skimming the rules and managed to confuse myself. Googling produced no answer, but I'm sure you guys will know this right off.

Charge is marked as:AoO:No.
This bears the additional note, "1. Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity."

So, if I charge someone 50' away, the enemy standing right beside me where I started gets an AoO on me. Not because I charged -charging doesn't provoke, itself- but because I moved as part of the charge, and moving does.

If the target of my charge has longer reach than me, does he? I move into a square that he threatens, say at 10' from an ogre, and then move out of it, to a square 5' from him. We've been playing that ogre doesn't get an AoO, but now looking at it again, I think he does. Bleh.

Thanee

First Post
Yep. Movement provokes. Not performing a move action, but the movement itself, doesn't matter why you move.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads