• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach Weapon and Hold the Line

Bryan898

First Post
If a character has the Hold the Line feat (CW), and wields a longspear and say spiked gauntlets, does he get two AoO's when a creature with 5' reach charges him? (One for passing through a threatened area, and another for the Hold the Line feat)

Nail

First Post
Bryan898 said:
One for passing through a threatened area, ..
Careful.

The opponent provokes by leaving a threatened square, not "passing through" one.

SRD said:
Moving: Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bryan898 said:
If a character has the Hold the Line feat (CW), and wields a longspear and say spiked gauntlets, does he get two AoO's when a creature with 5' reach charges him? (One for passing through a threatened area, and another for the Hold the Line feat)

Other way round, actually - he gets one when the creature charges into the space he threatens with his longspear (Hold the Line), and then he gets one when the creature leaves the space he threatens with his longspear (AoO for movement).

-Hyp.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm not so sure the PC gets the second AoO. You normally don't get an AoO because someone picks the charge action. Check out table 8-2 in the PH. Charge action says No AoO.

But, someone charging may provoke an AoO because of the spaces they move through. Usually this is what happens when you charge someone with a reach weapon. They get you when you move out of the space you can reach 10' away.

The way I read Hold the Line, you don't get an AoO simply because someone chose the charge action. I think you get it because they are moving into a space you threaten (rather than when they leave it) while they are charging. And since, even with Combat Reflexes, you only get 1 AoO against an opponent for each type of provocation, I think you get only 1 AoO.

billd91 said:
And since, even with Combat Reflexes, you only get 1 AoO against an opponent for each type of provocation, I think you get only 1 AoO.

You can take one AoO per provocation. When you have Hold the Line, entering a threatened square is one provocation.

Leaving a threatened square is another provocation. Leaving a second threatened square is not, because of the rules specifically dealing with leaving threatened squares.

Patlin

Explorer
And now picture the same character with a readied action to attack the first enemy coming into range... which would cause double damage on a charge.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
billd91 said:
I think you get it because they are moving into a space you threaten (rather than when they leave it) while they are charging.

The only problem with this sentence is the phrase in brackets.

You get it because they are moving into a space you threaten while they are charging.

This is an entirely separate provocation from 'leaving a threatened square'.

-Hyp.

Remove ads