• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach weapons and AoO

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
hammymchamham said:
If a charecter weilds a polearm and an enemy moves straight at them to get into melee, does it proke an AoO?

If their reach is 5', then yes, when they leave the square at 10' to approach the character.

Andargor

hammymchamham

First Post
Thanks, what I thought. I have a player using a reach weapon (hasn't used it yet). Its what we all throught, and just wanted to be 100% sure.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
hammymchamham said:
Thanks, what I thought. I have a player using a reach weapon (hasn't used it yet). Its what we all throught, and just wanted to be 100% sure.

As a further note, if the enemy passes by 10' away and doesn't approach the character, the character still gets an AoO when the enemy leaves the threatened square (since he has 10' reach).

I'm mentionning this because you said "straight at them", which is somewhat irrelevant.

Andargor

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
One thing I've always wondered about this - where does the attack occur?

For most purposes, it doesn't really matter, but suppose I elect to take a trip as my AoO. It matters greatly whether the tripped foe falls into the 5' square adjacent to me, or the 5' square at the limit of my reach since this will be then the square that the foe 'stops' in.

hammymchamham

First Post
I've always done the AoO before the actuall event that triggered the AoO occurs. For example:

PC: I attempt to sunder his sword!
DM: Ok, since you don't have Sunder, he gets an AoO against you
PC: Oh, ok.

If the AoO comes AFTER the sunder in this case, then its hard to make the AoO.

dcollins

Explorer
Celebrim said:
One thing I've always wondered about this - where does the attack occur?

Here's the Sage answering that one (via personal email):

In the case of a normal attack-of-opportunity from movement (leaving a threatened space), where exactly is the mover when the attack takes place -- in the threatened space he's trying to leave, or in the next space that he's trying to enter?

In the space the character is trying to leave. Any AoO is resolved before the act that triggers it is resolved.

Last edited:

Antikinesis

First Post
hammymchamham said:
If a charecter weilds a polearm and an enemy moves straight at them to get into melee, does it proke an AoO?
For the most part, yes (as indicated in prior responses). Of course, there are ways to avoid provoking that AoO. Tumble skill, Spring Attack feat, etc.

-AK

Dave G

First Post
what if someone is trying to disengage from combat with a person using a reach weapon? Does that allow for 2 AoO's (provided the opponent can do multiples) as they "back straight out" of the threatened area(s)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads