• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reactions to D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander123

First Post
What do you all think is the reason for people's negative reactions to D&D?

D&D is a valid form of recreation and in fact it is a much healthier form of recreation than going out and getting drunk or doing drugs and yet people's reaction would not be as negative were I to be doing drugs.

I was at the library and I was reading a D&D book and a man was walking by and said "Dungeons and Dragons, is that like cops and robbers?" (rhetorical question.) in a very insulting manner, I didn't pay him any attention because I have more self-confidence than that but I did want to discuss this issue.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
I would first like to inquire about where you live. Because around here in Finland, nobody (except jocks, maybe) will call you out for being a D&D player, let alone whine to you if you read a D&D book in the library. Heck, the books can't even be borrowed usually because someone else has already reserved it.

But yeah, the stigma is more of a joke here than anything else. In every group I have been in so far, we've only laughed about "aren't we technically troglodytes and nerds living in our basements who secretly worship Satan because we are D&D players? Do ho ho" and other stereo-types concerning D&D and similar games.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
D&D is a valid form of recreation and in fact it is a much healthier form of recreation than going out and getting drunk or doing drugs and yet people's reaction would not be as negative were I to be doing drugs.

:confused: This certainly would not be true amongst my greater circle of friends, family, and acquaintances. Personally, I do not think that most people's reactions to RPGs (or D&D in particular) are nearly as negative as you are presenting them to be.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Every now and then someone decides to scream about how "satanic" the game is, and there a few outspoken Christian groups that still maintain that delusion.

Beyond that, it's considered an odd hobby, pure escapism.

Once upon a time there was a college student who disappeared from campus. The media speculated that he and some friends were off living out a D&D fantasy in the steam tunnels under the school, and the story went national.

What didn't go national (because it wasn't nearly as sensational) was the fact that the kid was found in jail in Florida. His disappearance had nothing to do with D&D.

Over all, people make fun of things they don't understand.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
It's definitely something that stays in the closet here in rural Texas, mainly because it's 'nerdy' and not very macho; and (among the older folks) even for religious reasons that probably go back to the weird satanism scare of the 80s.

On the other hand, in cities here in the States, as well as while living abroad, I never had any issues, other than a little joking. With the popularity of mmorpgs and certain TV shows, it's a lot better now than when I was a kd.

Just depends, both on the local culture, and on the personality of the person in question. I don't think it's a terribly widespread problem outide the skulls of a handful of tiny-minded knuckleheads. Unfortunately, those knuckleheads can be pretty loud and obnoxious.

Last edited:

Alexander123

First Post
Every now and then someone decides to scream about how "satanic" the game is, and there a few outspoken Christian groups that still maintain that delusion.

Aside from narrow-mindedness among some Christians I am surprised that D&D would be lead some people to call it "satanic" partly because D&D is based on the tradional fantasy myths of "knights who rescue captive princesses, awake sleeping beauties, vanquish dragons, and fight giants and ogres". (A New Model of the Universe, P.D. Ousepensky)

the Jester

Legend
Aside from narrow-mindedness among some Christians I am surprised that D&D would be lead some people to call it "satanic" partly because D&D is based on the tradional fantasy myths of "knights who rescue captive princesses, awake sleeping beauties, vanquish dragons, and fight giants and ogres". (A New Model of the Universe, P.D. Ousepensky)

Well, you gotta realize that the people that are calling D&D Satanic have probably never looked inside a D&D book in their lives (or for that matter a Satanist one), and may have only seen them when they were protesting against them or burning them or what have you.

The thing about people that freak out about D&D is that, by definition, they don't know much about it. If they did, they wouldn't freak out about it, since there really isn't anything to freak out over (barring arguments about violence in gaming, anyhow).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't experience any negative reactions to D&D. Then again, I go out and get drunk as well. I'm pretty up front about my geekiness (naming dogs after Doctor Who or Star Wars characters, etc.) and nobody's said a word other than "Yeah, sounds like you" in an affectionate manner.

kitcik

Adventurer
D&D receives negative reactions because it is not realistic enough, particularly with respect to alignments.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

frankthedm

First Post
Alexander123 said:
What do you all think is the reason for people's negative reactions to D&D?
  • It is a waste of time better spent doing something productive.
  • They heard a religious official berating D&D for involving occult themes.
  • They dislike D&D for involving occult themes.
  • They saw read or saw Mazes and Monsters.
  • They heard about this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads